Tipping service advisor - Acura TLX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-23-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tipping service advisor

Does anyone tip their service advisor? I got the feeling my service advisor was waiting for a tip today. I may tip him next time back because he is ordering me a new steering wheel even though the only problem with it is a little nick in the leather. It seems like he may doing me a favor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-23-2019, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Garage
You do not need to tip your service advisor. Most all service advisors (or the better ones) are on commission. They have an alterior motive to sell you more than what you really need. They are not really on your side. Last I checked, a service advisor makes between 3 and 5% of the gross of what they write. The service manager often makes a percent of what the entire service department brings in, let's say 5% of everything (not including parts or body shop). At the end of the month there is often a meeting with the service writers and service manager letting the service writers know their average RO (Repair Order) average. The goal is to get the RO average as high as possible. The shop doesn't want customers coming in for just a $29 oil change. This brings down the service writers RO average. Around $400 is a good RO average. Yes, I use to be a service writer, dispatcher, service manager, parts manager, mechanic and shop foreman. When I was a teenager, working in a dealership was my dream job. Not all dealership are the same, but the above is the basic general rule for the payment in the service department.

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
post #3 of 3 Old 04-24-2019, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I would NEVER tip them for exactly the reason stated above.

He is NOT doing you a favor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Fathom Blue Pearl, 2.4L, 8 Speed Dual-Clutch with Technology Package

Previous cars: 2015 Honda Pilot, 2011 MDX, 2006 MDX, 2001 MDX, 98 Accord Coupe, 95 Accord, & 88 Accord. Wife had Civics during most of this time. Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page