• 2 Post By Gonzo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-07-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Auth Idle Stop Barely Starts Car

I had posted previously that after the fuel rump recall update the car would not enter auto idle restart... for about 2 weeks.... it's started to work but now it will for about 3 times in a day and then that's it after that it will display that it's not available. I have also had problems since day 1 that about every 40 restarts from the auto idle shutdown it would barely start. Dealer could never find the issue / reproduce.

Tonight notg only did it barely restart but my headlights turned off during the restart... something is not right here.. bad battery or something else but I'm going to setup an appointment.

Here is the video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MMU8pGuefyad8NVV6

When playing the video turn up the volume to max and you can hear it barely retart and you can also see at the same time the head lights turn off. No dash washing lights or anything which is really odd. Happening 2x times tonight, the other times (before AND after) no issue when it did restart from the auto idle restart.

Let me know if you have any ideas I can mention to the dealer... as I'm afraid unless they reproduce it... well you know..... nothing will get resolved!

2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD Advance Graphite

Last edited by Gonzo; 04-07-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-07-2019, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
This sounds like a battery to me. How old is the battery?

My 2.4L TLXís 4.5 year old battery is on its last leg. Last week it barely started after not driving it for 4 days. Afterward I drove for about five minutes and turned it off. Just to see if it was an issue I turned it on again and it started slowly again. Both of these times I had not put my seatbelt on yet so the dinger was going off. However, both of these times the dinger kept skipping as the car was starting. Thatís how low the battery was.

By this time I was at home so I grabbed my old 100 amp carbon pile tester and the battery at first only put out about 400 amps (itís rated for 440 amps). I waited a few second and tested it again. The second time it got as low as only putting out 200 amps.

I put a charger on it overnight and it seems to just be ok now. Itís still week and will probably fail any day, but Iím fine with that. I say Iím fine with that because I just bought a batteryless jump starter I want to try out in a true dead battery situation. Rezervo Mini Batteryless Pocket Jump Starter with Ultracapacitor Technology RZ-300mini https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GK4PKKD..._KFMQCbK9EP2DZ

2015 TLX 2.4 Tech - Graphite Luster Metallic w/Ebony
post #3 of 9 Old 04-07-2019, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Garage
If it turns out to be the battery, then I'd say you guys are doing pretty good. The OEM batteries in my 2015 and 2018 TLX's have not lasted more than 18 months. The hot Arizona climate has a lot to do with that. For me, the tell tale signs that the battery was weak was it wouldn't hold the seat memory position and on the 2018 also it would not consistently "auto-lock" the car when closing the door and walking away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 TLX 2.4L w/Tech, Bellanova White Pearl
Previously - 2015 TLX 2.4L w/Tech, Basque Red Pearl II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-11-2019, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well the dealer had previously tested the battery and said it was OK... when starting normally it sounds ok (not turning slow or anything). I have an appt next week to have them look at it.

post #5 of 9 Old 04-18-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Got the car back after a few days at the dealer... their diagnosis was the battery. This will be the 2nd battery replaced under warranty since taking ownership. Aside from loosing all my presents and car settings it's behaving fine. Part used: 31500-TZ7-AGM100M
MrMoo and hmbecker3 like this.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-18-2019, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Got the car back after a few days at the dealer... their diagnosis was the battery. This will be the 2nd battery replaced under warranty since taking ownership. Aside from loosing all my presents and car settings it's behaving fine. Part used: 31500-TZ7-AGM100M
Good to hear that it was simply the battery, easy fix!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 TLX 2.4L w/Tech, Bellanova White Pearl
Previously - 2015 TLX 2.4L w/Tech, Basque Red Pearl II
post #7 of 9 Old 04-19-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbecker3 View Post
Good to hear that it was simply the battery, easy fix!
Even better that it was still under warranty!

post #8 of 9 Old 04-19-2019, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
So glad I got a Tech without auto-start. I just had my 2016 in for a B12 (had the car a few weeks more than three years) and they told me the battery is just starting to go (they show yellow, red obviously is bad). I should be able to get maybe another 4-6 months out of it.

2016 Silver TLX 6 Cyl AWS Tech
post #9 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yea but with auto restart I get an extra 0.001 MPG! I love it but question it's purpose in a loving way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page