LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 03-08-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Another Transmission Jerk Thread

Hey guys, I know this has been covered before but I'm looking for some reassurance I can do something about this.

Bought my 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD from Acura Barrie (Ontario, Canada), picked up Feb 22nd. It was certified pre-owned with 84,000 km. Car was registered in May 2015. All maintenance done at dealership.

Noticed the auto rain sensing wiper didn't work within the first couple days in the rain. Also noticed a rough shift between 1-2 and 2-3.

The rough shift was mostly noticeable between 2-3. I tested each drive mode to see if it persisted and it did. I tried letting off the gas easier to make it smoother, but it still had a jerk (not as hard but noticeable). If I get on the gas, it would be a hard kick back. The jerk is always noticeable, but the bad ones happen maybe 70% of the time.

I wanted to take it into the dealership, but Barrie is an hour and a half away from my house. So I went to a closer Acura and they told me their first step would be to do a trans flush since it hasn't been done yet. Their first step to diagnose transmissions is apparently a flush, and that was priced at $500 bucks. So instead I called up the original dealer and spoke to them about it.

I took it into the original dealership to have it checked out after they heard my issues over the phone. It had only been a week so they took a courtesy look at it. They fixed my rain sensor by replacing the silicon sheet for free. For the transmission, they found a software update available. So they updated the software and reset the learning system. They said all updates are now up to date and to give it a couple weeks and the transmission should be better. I tried to bug them about giving me the transmission flush service since apparently it should have been done by now, and seeing that I just bought the car 8 days prior it seemed fair that they should cover this. But apparently they never do the flushes prematurely, they just follow what the minder system says.

The tech also noted that the early year for these cars aren't the most smooth transmissions. I have zero problems in every other gear, it's very smooth. But especially in city the jerk is noticeable. When he said that its a known thing that the transmissions aren't that great, it worried me that they wouldn't take extra steps to fix it.

It's now been 500 km since the reset and it's definitely the same. My plan is to let it complete the full 1000 km and then test it out in all drive modes/conditions again. If it persists, I was going to wait for the trans service to pop up and get that done too. Then at that point I should hear no other excuses for a jerky 1-2-3.

Any advice on how else to handle this? What do I do if they push back after everything and say 'that's just how the car is'??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-08-2018, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Nice write up you sound like a reasonable person.... congrats! Per the service bulletin if the new software update and relearn don't help then you get a new transmission. That should be the next step per Acura... ensure the dealer goes that route.

For the other dealer wanted to do a flush..... while you are near the time for a tranny flush I would agree and wait for the maintenance minder to come up. But given all the issues with the transmission and how that was NEVER related the dealer was wasting your time and money. The first step should have been what the orig dealer did, software update and relearn.
andre12dbsi and lakshan like this.

2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #3 of 26 Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 PM
dan

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Don't give up, you should get a new transmission like a lot of us have. The 9 speeds in the 2015 were defective and Acura knows it. It took me 5 trips to the dealer before they replaced mine. Good Luck.
lakshan likes this.

2015 TLX 3.5L SH-AWD Advance -
Slate Silver - Ebony Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a 2015 TLX pre-owned. I had similar issues with my transmission when I bought the car. Had to go to the dealership 3 times until they did a trans flush. The jerks did not go away and I had to take the car to the dealership again.
This time they did a software update. The jerks have reduced since then but I still feel the kickback.

Planning to ask the dealer to replace the transmission.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input and help guys! I've tried to be less picky with it and see how it goes but its really noticeable daily. I'm gonna stand my ground against them and push for a fix. Car is now at 89k, the learning cycle should be complete and the issue persists. I have the extended warranty so I have time. I'm going to call them today and let them know the issue is still there.

For those who got their 2015 9 speed replaced, did it completely resolve the issue?
post #6 of 26 Old 03-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshan View Post
Thanks for the input and help guys! I've tried to be less picky with it and see how it goes but its really noticeable daily. I'm gonna stand my ground against them and push for a fix. Car is now at 89k, the learning cycle should be complete and the issue persists. I have the extended warranty so I have time. I'm going to call them today and let them know the issue is still there.

For those who got their 2015 9 speed replaced, did it completely resolve the issue?

When I got mine replaced it was like a completely different car. The first 1000kms wasnít great as it went through a learning period but it settled down and was really good......definitely better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lakshan likes this.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-22-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
UPDATE:

I took it back to the Barrie location (where I purchased the car from) and got the fussy service manager to test drive. To my dismay, the 15 min he drove it the car was behaving okay. The shifts were smooth enough where I wouldn't have complained in the first place. We switched places and I tried driving it as well, and I could not recreate it. All modes and throttle variations, the hard shift wasn't there. On the drive back to the dealership, it did hiccup a little but not as bad as I have become used to, but the manager did admit he noticed. He said that is just a characteristic of the car, and that there is nothing further they could do about it. Sucks that I spent a two hour drive up there just for the problem to not get shown properly. I even printed out and showed them the TSB and the next steps, and I printed out around 10 tlxforums forum threads where a client complained about this same issue and got it resolved via replacement (I know this doesn't hold much weight but it's something).

On the drive home, I got Acura Client Care on the phone, made a case and let them know the whole situation; they confirmed with the dealer that there is nothing else they could do for now. Basically they won't send out an engineer or take it seriously until the dealership admits there is a problem. After this I drove it around for a week and I did notice multiple occasions where the car was smooth, where I would almost not notice the shift. But most of the time it's back to the normal hard jerk when accelerating and surging sensation when braking. I guess the software update did do something but did not get rid of the problem completely. Acura Client Care did say I could get a second opinion, so this morning I dropped it off at the other dealership I mentioned earlier (the one where they tried to get me to do a trans flush).

My experience with this dealership this time was much better, the service person was not the same as before but he did recognize me and empathized with the situation more. He gave me a loaner within 20 min and introduced me to 'one of the best techs in Ontario'. He said they will do a proper test and will be in contact with Acura to get this resolved, and he said to keep the loaner for however long that takes (may be a few days or upto next week).

Feeling much more taken care of now. I hope they can recreate what I am experiencing and at least compare it to the 2016 Trans to see if there is a noticeable difference so that I can make a case for myself.

Last edited by lakshan; 03-22-2018 at 05:41 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-13-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys,

For those of you that got the transmission replaced, was the 1-2, 2-3 shift completely smooth like it is in the rest of the gears, or was the jerk just more dull and more 'normal'? Just want to know if the replacement transmission made your shifts as buttery smooth as the rest of the gear shifts usually are.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-13-2018, 03:55 PM
MTD

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
When I had my 15, it was the 2-3 shift that had a bit of a jerking sensation. It didnt happen that often and the TSBs they did eliminated the 2-3 jerk mostly all of the time. The only time it happened after that was when the car was cold in the winter.

I have an 18 A-Spec now and it drives perfectly. Id try a few different dealers, they are not all the hesitant to help.
andre12dbsi likes this.

2018 TLX SH-AWD Elite A-Spec
2019 RDX A-Spec
post #10 of 26 Old 04-14-2018, 04:56 PM
dan

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshan View Post
Hey guys,

For those of you that got the transmission replaced, was the 1-2, 2-3 shift completely smooth like it is in the rest of the gears, or was the jerk just more dull and more 'normal'? Just want to know if the replacement transmission made your shifts as buttery smooth as the rest of the gear shifts usually are.
I had my transmission replaced and it is 95% better. The 2-3 shift is fixed, now I do have a 1-2 shift jerk at times, this happens when I'm driving really slow like a parking lot and let up on the gas. It's not very often and nothing like the 2-3 jerk before.
andre12dbsi likes this.

2015 TLX 3.5L SH-AWD Advance -
Slate Silver - Ebony Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List