I do an automotive segment on the local TV station every month. They asked me to do one on Automotive Scams. Being that I don't take my car in for service, I'm not as aware of all the various scams going around as people who actually take their car in. Here are a few I was going to talk on. If you have others, please add them.
1) Shop Supplies - A shop charging a set percentage for shop supplies when in fact : Many jobs don't require any supplies or they should be considered the price of doing business like paper towels or hand soap.
2) Air Filter - The technician coming to you waving your slightly used air filter in your face telling you that you need a new air filter when in fact it could easily go 20,000 miles or more.
3) Additives - That your vehicle NEEDS some oil or gas additive to make it more efficient and run better. Fact is, there is no magic additive that can do that and virtually all auto manufacturers don't recommend it.
4) Engine Flush - like above, many shops will try and sell you an engine flush when in fact the manufacturer does not recommend it.
5) Fuel Injector Cleaning - like above, trying to sell you fuel injector cleaning when you have no problem with your vehicle. Your manufacturer does not recommend this service.
6) Having an oil change done and the technician just wipes the oil filter making it look new instead of changing the oil filter.
7) Using a cheaper grade oil then what should be in the car.
Has anything happened to you or your friends that make you want to scream SCAM.
2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
Last edited by Crashmaster; 01-19-2019 at 06:06 PM.