Potential future owner. - Acura TLX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-28-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Potential future owner.

Hello, I currently own a 2012 Infiniti g37X coupe and I am looking to upgrade and get something newer and better mpg because 17 city is not ideal for commuting. I am really liking the features on a 2015 TLX SH AWD. I have seen multiple reviews from people complaining about the ZF 9 speed. what should I be looking for when inspecting, or should I stay away and purchase a 2015 wrx thanks!

Btw this forum is laid out a lot better then the g37x one.

Last edited by colin sargent; 05-28-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-29-2019, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
I'd take whatever car you're considering on an extensive test drive looking for hard shifting (mainly between the 2nd and 3rd gears). Some have also complained about highway vibration which has been linked to the VCM. Are you dead set on a 2015? Or even the SH AWD? I've owned two (2015 and 2018) 4 cylinders with the 8-speed DCT and that transmission behaves just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 TLX 2.4L w/Tech, Bellanova White Pearl
Previously - 2015 TLX 2.4L w/Tech, Basque Red Pearl II
post #3 of 9 Old 05-29-2019, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to Acura Collin. I don't know about back in 2015, but I heard that they corrected the software and is working better now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Fathom Blue Pearl, 2.4L, 8 Speed Dual-Clutch with Technology Package

Previous cars: 2015 Honda Pilot, 2011 MDX, 2006 MDX, 2001 MDX, 98 Accord Coupe, 95 Accord, & 88 Accord. Wife had Civics during most of this time. Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-02-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I recently purchased a 2015 SH-AWD. It does have some transmission quirks, but nothing so bad that it was a deal breaker. Mostly, hesitant or slow shifts, but nothing major, and I actually really like the push-button shifter. Overall it's quick enough, quiet, and comfortable.

I was choosing between this and a Q50, and went with the TLX because of better MPG, more features, more focused towards comfort (quieter, smoother), and better reputation for reliability and quality. The Q50 was definitely sportier and faster, the interior felt nice, and the infotainment system was prob better. For a family car I liked the TLX. If it was just me it probably would have been the Q50.

2015 TLX 3.5 SH-AWD Fathom Blue/Graystone
post #5 of 9 Old 06-02-2019, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I highly recommend getting the I4 TLX if you want to enjoy driving your car. Nothing really wrong with 9speed V6 but it's not as thrilling and fun as the I4. I was driving a 2019 Aspec V6 loaner for a week two weeks ago and man, the worst ever transmission made from Honda. Whenever it shift, you feel like you stuck in this no man's land. That floating feeling of the car losing power during the shift. It just hovers there for a good old 1/2 to 1second. If you been driving automatic then this probably not a big deal, but coming from a stickshift and dual clutch driver like me, you feel like you're not fully in control. It's better when the car is always in gear and that's what stickshift and dual clutch is for. To each of his own.

2019 TLX I4 A-Spec.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-02-2019, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
I rather enjoy my V6... and the Z9... for what its worth.. I use padle shifters to enhance the ride, and the the TLX doesn't disappoint...

Having said that you mentioned MPG.... if that is the driving for to change cars I would for go with the I4..... better MPG over the V6. I do a lot of city and some highway but when on the highway my average speed, well let's say slight above posted and my average is only 22 MPG.

The I4 sounds right up your alley. Good luck!

2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #7 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillingTLX View Post
I highly recommend getting the I4 TLX if you want to enjoy driving your car. Nothing really wrong with 9speed V6 but it's not as thrilling and fun as the I4. I was driving a 2019 Aspec V6 loaner for a week two weeks ago and man, the worst ever transmission made from Honda. Whenever it shift, you feel like you stuck in this no man's land. That floating feeling of the car losing power during the shift. It just hovers there for a good old 1/2 to 1second.
I've heard the I4 is more fun to drive because it's lighter over the nose the transmission is better. AWD was a requirement for me, but I think you make the transmission sound worse than it is. Before this I was driving manuals and a GTI with DSG. I keep it in sport mode which actually really helps. Sport+ is too aggressive (when I don't want to be) and econ and normal are too lax.

Also, it's a ZF 9 speed. Not sure if Honda reprograms it on arrival, but it is slightly disappointing since the ZF 8-speed is ubiquitous in the luxury market and highly praised, often considered the best TC automatic on the market.

2015 TLX 3.5 SH-AWD Fathom Blue/Graystone
post #8 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 11:57 AM

I hate the extra power the V6 has..lol
post #9 of 9 Old 06-11-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks to everyone that responded. Awd is a must have for me. I live in Michigan and I am moving to Minneapolis. I also love the power of my G37 so an i4 wouldn't be my first choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page