LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Cool New 2015 TLX with Issues and Fixes

Hi Everyone, new to the forum here. I just picked up a 2015 TLX Base 52k Miles with the i4 engine and DCT, Copper Black Exterior with Espresso Interior. I bought this Private and i think i got a good deal as compared to going to a dealer, primarily because the car needed some work. Im coming from a 2013 BMW 535i so this was a bit of a downgrade but prior to that i had a 2009 TSX that i absolutely loved, never any issues.

When i bought the TLX, the front brakes and rotors were shot as the car would vibrate alot when braking. I bought Callahan Rotors and Akebono brakes off of Amazon. I did it myself and car brakes so smooth now. I cant seem to attach links or pictures.

The cars tires are also pretty much done and i can hear road noise once i reach 80mph. I ordered at walmart for $64 each and expect to have them install today or tomorrow.

I heard that the transmission was jerky on these but mine shifted fine, although you can defenitly feel the shifts (my bmw was smooth as butter). Its warm here now so ill have to wait to see how it is in the cold. Another issue i have is that while idling in Drive or Reverse the car would vibrate quite a bit. Putting in neutral the vibration goes away. I did the idle relearn procedure where you hold the gas pedal down until the fan comes on, it seems to be doing it alot less now, lets see.

I also installed a system in the car this weekend by adding a line out converter, very simple on these cars, although i now have a few rattles that ill have to tackle next weekend.

Apart from this the car is very smooth and runs great. I will get 35% tints in a few weeks as well as maybe getting a painted copper black Trunk Lip that i found on ebay for $175. If anyone has any other good Mod recommendations please let me know. Let me know your thoughts on this purchase and any other ideas you might have to pimp out this ride. Glad to be here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_acura_tlx_fwd-pic-2379082569018759363-1024x768.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	23950   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_acura_tlx_fwd-pic-2344210739433149612-1024x768.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	23952   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_acura_tlx_fwd-pic-7366091122669674412-1024x768.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	23954  

Last edited by MechMan; 04-22-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The car vibrating in Drive or Reverse is normal if you have the AC on, seat warmer/cooler on and other heavy electrical stuff running. You feel it more in this model and lower for some reason. In my RDX, it's not as noticeable. Now, if it's vibrating very bad, then you need to check the motor mounts and other rubber bushings. They might need to be replace.

2019 TLX I4 A-Spec.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Even with everything off, it would vibrate, i had a shop check out the mounts and they said they were fine. I dont think he checked the tranny mounts though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Wow, looks very clean for a 2015. Love that floor mat, what kind and where do u get it?

The 2015 do have some transmission issue, so this vibration might be it.

2019 TLX I4 A-Spec.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you. The previous owner had these leather mats in but he just threw them in there and not tuck them in properly. I cleaned the car and made it flush, looks pretty sweet. I'll add new pics if interested. I think you can buy it on ebay for like $95. i might have to check out the transmission mounts, but its odd because sometimes the vibration isnt there at all and its normal but sometimes its pretty bad. Might be just how its built, based off reading other posts on this forum.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just traded my 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD last Friday. I bought a 2018 Audi A4 with only 4,400 miles. I could not take my TLX any longer. It only had 35,000 miles. The tranny was a total PoS. Acura has not taken responsibility for this disaster yet. The tranny bucked from 3th to 4th gear, hesitates especially when cold, and sometimes the tranny would not shift until a high RPM. Then the “unofficial” recalled the tranny saying that coolant could mix with tranny fluid and could ruin you tranny and/or engine. But no offer to fix it unless it happens. But the were nice enough to extend the warranty for 10 years for this issue.... this is “code” for too expensive to fix.... My TLX vibrated at 75-80mph sometimes to the point where I had to keep both hands tightly on the wheel. Now 3 weeks ago another recall regarding the fuel pump and too much sulfur in the gas. If this happens the car will stall out and leave you stranded.

Wish you all the luck. I cut my losses and ran away as fast as I could from that car. I was lucky to get a $17,000 trade for it....
post #7 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Congrats and best luck... still love my 2015 and hope to have it for many more years. Can you elaborate on how you did this procedure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechMan View Post
I did the idle relearn procedure where you hold the gas pedal down until the fan comes on

2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #8 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used to love Acuras View Post
I just traded my 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD last Friday. I bought a 2018 Audi A4 with only 4,400 miles.
Good luck with your new Audi... Germany engineering starts off great. At least you will pass emissions.

2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #9 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used to love Acuras View Post
I just traded my 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD last Friday. I bought a 2018 Audi A4 with only 4,400 miles. I could not take my TLX any longer
Sounds like your car was just a outlier and full of problems, glad to say that my issues arent this severe and more subtle, and i hope it stays that way for atleast 2 years before i buy something else. i shouldve gone with the new TLX's but was on a budget. Wish you luck with your Audi, shouldve bought a bimmer though
post #10 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Congrats and best luck... still love my 2015 and hope to have it for many more years. Can you elaborate on how you did this procedure?
I followed the instruction on this post https://www.tlxforums.com/forum/engi...procedure.html

Im not sure if it works though, probably for the older Gen Honda's and Acuras, but doesnt hurt to try. Some have said its made the Tranny more responsive and peppy, thats until the idle goes back into grandma mode and you have to do the relearn again. Let me know if you try it out and your results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page