Acura TLX Forum banner

My amp is fried!!! Burning Smell

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  harryking 
#1 ·
The stock amp I think it is.

So about a month ago, I replaced the stock speakers to an aftermarket speakers. Everything was working fine. Then these past couple of weeks, the speakers would come on and off. Sometimes fading to off and on. I read that our car only accept 2ohm speakers and these aftermarket speakers are 4ohm. I thought they would be fine. So beside that issue, I don't know what else is causing problem. As I was driving home today, there was this rubber burning smell coming from inside the car. At this point, the front speakers are totally off. I quickly drove home, quickly open up the doors and got to the speakers, wow, they ARE HOT and I can smell that burning coming from it. I checked to make sure there might be loose wire and try again. When I reconnect, I can hear hissing/fuzzing sound coming from it even though the car is off. So connections checked, turn on the stereo and boom, I hear crackling sound, hear some music coming from it and then dead. The smell gotten stronger, I quickly turn off and let it wait. After about 30 minutes, try turning on again. Nothing, no sound, nothing from all speakers.

Can someone tell what happened? I called a local sound installation store and they told me, I have to go to the dealer.

See less See more
#2 ·
This sucks man sorry to hear. I'm not an expert or have a career in the industry so take my input for what it's worth.

My understanding about amplifiers and ohm loads placed on them is that going a lower ohm load then an amp is designed to give has the potential to fry the amp. BUT giving an amplifier a higher ohm load then it's rated for shouldn't be an issue ...

The first thing I would think is something is shorting shorting somewhere? Next I'd wonder if the amp just coincidentally crapped out. I wouldn't rule anything out though as I loosely hold there are exceptions to the rule. Rob Haynes is on here he might have a technical opinion on this or maybe you'll have to re post this on DIYMobileAudio.com for some more theories.

Also some speakers specifications say they are rated at certain ohms but ONLY are at that ohm rating when they are using the crossover. There should also be a ohm rating checked for when the speakers do not use the included crossover.

#4 ·
Thanks man, good to know there are other people who have the same issues. Will have dealer look at it this week. The question is, should I take out the aftermarket speakers so they don't try to blame it on that? Either way, I don't think the speakers will do that.

I think I've read a couple reports now about speakers blowing a couple times on a completely OEM stock system -- https://www.tlxforums.com/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/41569-2018-speakers-blown.html

#5 ·
You didn't change any wiring right? You used a reversable speaker adapter? Same with tweeters?

Do any of your car speakers play now like the rears or sub?

If it's shorting out because of wire splicing then I'd be hesitant to plug anything back in until I found out where the short was.

But if the wiring is untouched / stock and not shorting and it's just that the amplifier is defective and slowly killing your speakers then putting the originals back in could isolate the issue if they work. But then it may repeat on the stock ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.