2Likes
  • 2 Post By Crashmaster
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Unread 05-13-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2018 Acura TLX A-SPEC SH-AWD ENGINE SEIZED!

Hello all!

I own an Acura TLX A-SPEC and recently an incident occurred with me that my engined has seized and been completely destroyed. I was on the highway going about 120km/hr and my engine shut off. I immediately pulled over got it towed to the dealership where they told me my engine has seized due to "lack of lubrication over time" which is complete nonsense because I have been regularly getting my oil changed. They denied my warranty, and I appealed the decision and provided them with all the maintenance records (my recent two oil changes were done from MR.LUBE). They also denied it the second time, this time stating that a "foreign object MAY have fell into engine causing it to break everything" (trying to pin it on Mr.Lube) I'm just wondering has anyone else unfortunately been through this or something similar? I'm confident Mr.Lube has done everything properly because they have been changing the oil for 3 of my other cars and I personally watch them change the oil every time. Please note my car has only 48000KM on it and is in perfect condition. I will be having to take this to court now but I am extremely disappointed in Acura way on handling this situation. Please let me know if anyone can relate in the slightest way! Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread 05-13-2019, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Garage
First, very sorry as to what happened.

Can I say whose fault it is with certainty from what you provided? No.

I can say that I've been involved with many engines destroyed by quicky oil change shops. Actually an expert for the quicky lube and the customer (not at the same time).

My first thought is what were the lab results from an oil sample? Was it the correct oil?

How much oil was in the engine at the time it stopped?

What brand and model oil filter did Mr Lube put on?

How long after the oil change did the lock up occur?

What was the foreign object they found in your engine?

How can you be confident in what Mr. Lube installed when often quicky oil change shops will install much cheaper oil even some times going so far as to put cheap oil in quart or gallon synthetic containers and charging customer the full synthetic price.

I'm not directly familiar with Mr Lube, but doing a quick check on the Internet, Mr. Lube has a large following of people who believe they were scammed.

I'll let you know that it can get very expensive trying to sue Acura. Can you find an expert who will argue what Acura is saying? Even if so, he will need to do a full inspection of the engine, do an oil analysis, and then testify against Acura experts in court. This can easily run 3 or 4 thousand dollars (American dollars).

My point with the above is: Are you really sure they changed the oil? Put in the correct oil? And used the proper oil filter? Did you check the oil level and quality (clean) after the oil change? Many people don't. If I had to guess, I would say the problem is with Mr. Lube.
MrMoo and Gonzo like this.

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
post #3 of 7 Unread 05-14-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post
First, very sorry as to what happened.

Can I say whose fault it is with certainty from what you provided? No.

I can say that I've been involved with many engines destroyed by quicky oil change shops. Actually an expert for the quicky lube and the customer (not at the same time).

My first thought is what were the lab results from an oil sample? Was it the correct oil?

How much oil was in the engine at the time it stopped?

What brand and model oil filter did Mr Lube put on?

How long after the oil change did the lock up occur?

What was the foreign object they found in your engine?

How can you be confident in what Mr. Lube installed when often quicky oil change shops will install much cheaper oil even some times going so far as to put cheap oil in quart or gallon synthetic containers and charging customer the full synthetic price.

I'm not directly familiar with Mr Lube, but doing a quick check on the Internet, Mr. Lube has a large following of people who believe they were scammed.

I'll let you know that it can get very expensive trying to sue Acura. Can you find an expert who will argue what Acura is saying? Even if so, he will need to do a full inspection of the engine, do an oil analysis, and then testify against Acura experts in court. This can easily run 3 or 4 thousand dollars (American dollars).

My point with the above is: Are you really sure they changed the oil? Put in the correct oil? And used the proper oil filter? Did you check the oil level and quality (clean) after the oil change? Many people don't. If I had to guess, I would say the problem is with Mr. Lube.
No one has tested the oil sample. The car stopped about 500KM after the oil changed and the there was more than enough oil in the car when Acura had taken it out of the car. They didn't find a foreign object in the car, they are just saying that it is a possibility. Quick question, how can I get my oil tested and see if they put the right one in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Unread 05-14-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I always have my dealership change my oil. On a car like this I'm not going to a JiffyLube. If anything happens to the engine due to oil, I know who did it and when and have paperwork to prove it. The savings in minimal as the dealer doesn't charge that much more.

Sorry for your engine loss.

2016 Silver TLX 6 Cyl AWS Tech
post #5 of 7 Unread 05-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
No one has tested the oil sample. The car stopped about 500KM after the oil changed and the there was more than enough oil in the car when Acura had taken it out of the car. They didn't find a foreign object in the car, they are just saying that it is a possibility. Quick question, how can I get my oil tested and see if they put the right one in?
There are oil analysis companies all over the country (including Canada), just do a Google search. Speak with the company first and let them know what the situation is. There are various types of tests and they can guide you as to what you want.

You also must consider that Honda/Acura engines don't have a propensity of locking up due to lack of lubrication. So you really can't come into court and say that this happens all the time with these engines. On the other hand, Acura can come into court and say that Mr Lube has X amount of customer complaints including X amount of engine lock ups due to lack of lubrication. Yes, it is circumstantial evidence, but nonetheless, still important in court.

I realize you are frustrated and would prefer Acura to just replace the engine, but they can't.

Instead of making Acura your enemy by threatening to sue them; make them your friend and they can be very helpful against Mr. Lube. I think at this point, with the amount of money involved, your best bet is to obtain an attorney who has experience in these matters.

At some point you need to put Mr. Lube on notice by letting them know what happened. Let them have the opportunity to inspect the engine (be there at the same time and watch them carefully). They will take pictures and also take an oil sample. Don't rely on their oil analysis, get your own. If it is obvious that Mr Lube screwed up or scammed you, you will be getting an offer from them quickly.

Start keeping track of your expenses. Rental car, inconveniences, etc. This matter could take months to straighten out and you want to be reimbursed for your time and trouble. Hope some of this helps.

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics

Last edited by Crashmaster; 05-14-2019 at 11:00 AM.
post #6 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Not trying to put salt in your wounds but to my knowledge hasn't been a single engine seizing issue posted on this forum. Good luck resolving this.... someone besides you, needs to cover the engine replacement.... Mr Lube or Acura. My bet is that Mr Lube caused this to occur.

2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Not to be a jerk but c'mon, you driving a $40k car and you went cheap on changing oil. Other brand car cost hundreds for oil change. Our car is very easy when it comes to oil change. Spend the extra money and take good care of the car. Treat her right and she will treat you right.

2019 TLX I4 A-Spec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List