LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 169 Old 10-20-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
2015-2016 Winter Tire/Wheel discussion

All the other threads about Winter Tires/Wheels ended around January 2015. The best is a closed thread. The other is about driving in the snow.

Living in upstate New York, we get our share of snow from up north (I'm not saying you Canadians like your snow, but you like sharing it!!).

I did a quick trip to TireRack.com and they offer many Tire/wheel/TMPS packages ($1200-1400 USD)

Questions:
Do you keep the same wheel diameter? Or go with a reduction?
i.e. 18 >> 17?
Wheel offset: Why would they offer multiple offsets for the TLX?

They offer both BLIZZAK LM-32 RFT and X-ICE XI3

Any comments from those that had a winter in their TLX are appreciated!

Proud owner of a 2015 TLX 3.5 P-AWS Graphite Luster Metallic/Ebony with Advance Package (5/2015)
Opti-Coat Pro (6/2015), Acura F/R Splash guards (6/2015), Acura Trunk Liner (10/2015), WeatherTech F/R FloorLiner (11/2015)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 169 Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I live in snowy Ontario but drove mine with all seasons last year and didn't have any problems, not that i am recommending that! lol
At my dealer they can only put the alloy rims on so steals won't fit 'apparently'.
They have a special on at my dealer for Alloy rims, sensors and the Michelin X Ice3 all installed for around $1,800 I think. These tires seem to get good reviews up here though and a lot of dealers stock these so must be worth their weight in gold.
post #3 of 169 Old 10-20-2015, 12:29 PM
MTD

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
At my dealer they can only put the alloy rims on so steals won't fit 'apparently'.
They have a special on at my dealer for Alloy rims, sensors and the Michelin X Ice3 all installed for around $1,800 I think. These tires seem to get good reviews up here though and a lot of dealers stock these so must be worth their weight in gold.
Of course they wont fit, otherwise they wouldnt be able to sell you an $1800 set The TLX has the same basic wheels specs that the Accord does, so other Honda/Acura steel wheels will fit. Downsizing to a 17 steel wheel should be relatively easy.

I'll be using Hankook iPike w409 in stock 225/50/18 sizes on the stock wheels for now. I plan on buying aftermarket or OEM 19's next spring so my 18's will stay as a winter set.

Ive had great results with iPikes in the past. Great in the deep snow and slush.

post #4 of 169 Old 10-20-2015, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Not sure about driving around the snow and salt with alloy wheels. They don't last as long as steel in those conditions.
post #5 of 169 Old 10-20-2015, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
gary325 has an AWS, so I can relate to the desire for snows. We just left an 03 TL-S and swore by snows in New England winters, for a 15 TLX SH-AWS so we can hopefully leave the snow tires behind. Would love to hear about folks experience with the all-seasons and SH-AWD. My 07 MDX handles it fine - but that's a different animal.

As for alloy wheels, I bought my set in 2003, used them every winter, and am giving them to one of my programmers who has an 07 TL. So they held up fine in the harsh salt and snow for over ten years. They were also sized down - the TL-s took 17s but the snows needed to be 16s.
MTD likes this.
post #6 of 169 Old 10-20-2015, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Just went to the tire shop to pay for my tires going to have them mounted next week.

Hankook iPikes W409
18/50R18

2015 Acura TLX Bellanova White Pearl V-6 SH-AWD Elite
- Window Tint
- Roof Wrap
- De-Chromed
- RS*R
post #7 of 169 Old 10-20-2015, 03:46 PM
MTD

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3RMiTdot View Post
Just went to the tire shop to pay for my tires going to have them mounted next week.

Hankook iPikes W409
18/50R18
From where? I was quoted $850 installed w tax from SimplyTire.
post #8 of 169 Old 10-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Garage
I just got Michelin X-ice mounted on my stock 18s. They were right around $1300 from the dealer.

I've used them on past vehicles and they were really good.
explicit_tl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Bellanova White, Ebony Interior, SH-AWD Tech, Spoiler, Rear Splash Guards, Folding Trunk Tray, 19" Acura Diamond Cut Wheels, 245/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Puddle Light Projectors, LED trunk light.

post #9 of 169 Old 10-20-2015, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre12dbsi View Post
I just got Michelin X-ice mounted on my stock 18s. They were right around $1300 from the dealer.

I've used them on past vehicles and they were really good.
Are they just as quiet as all season tires or do they make a lot of noise like what some winter tires do?
post #10 of 169 Old 10-20-2015, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Downsizing to 17" narrower tires will provide extra grip in snow. The taller sidewall will provide some additional protection from a blowout if you run over a pothole. It will also give a slightly more comfortable ride. So if you have an option go with the 17".

Offset is related to the design and construction of the wheel. Where possible try and keep the same offset, but it is not a deal breaker.

Pick the brand of snow tires based on their write-up that best matches your typical driving conditions, e.g., some specs will indicate best for snow, some best for ice. I would challenge the average driver to tell the difference between two sets of different snows mounted on identical vehicles.

If you drive like a granny and can stay off the snow or icy roads then snow tires are optional, otherwise consider them mandatory. Winter tires also provide shorter stopping distances even on dry pavement. If it were not illegal would you consider driving without insurance? Think of snow tires as relatively cheap insurance. They will also extend the life of your summer or AS tires.
gary325 likes this.

V6 Elite PAWS - BCP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page