LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New to the Forum

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the TLX Forum. Got my car back in March of 2015 (2015 TLX V6 Tech). Joined this forum to see everyone else's experience with this car. Mine now has just over 34,000 miles on it. I had the transmission swapped under warranty (mine was plagued with a defective transmission). I don't remember the new transmission part number off the top of my head but I do have the paperwork somewhere at home. Anyways, other than this being an introductory post, I would like some guidance on where to look so that I don't ask the same question that's been asked 500 times already. So I had my transmission replaced back in August of 2016. Mileage was at around 24,000. The new trans works fine (although the jerkiness and throttle lag are still present), however when I go through the drive-thru of say a Starbucks, normally when I'm completely stopped with the steering wheel turned all the way to the left, the car tends to vibrate pretty roughly. It's happened to me twice where the RPMs go down from around 500 RPMs close to 0 and shoot right back up there after. During the process, the car shifts to neutral by itself. Anyone care to chime in as to why it would do that even though the transmission was replaced with a warranty kit or at least direct me to the right thread? PS the dealer service tech states that Acuras are normal to idle between 500 to 1000 RPMS whereas mine idles around 500 (seems to be really on the low side).

Thanks everyone and great forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

What you've experienced isn't normal. I guess the issue is getting the car to repeat the problem at the service dept. Intermittent issues are difficult to troubleshoot obviously.

If you use the search feature of the forum it should help find what you're looking for. Having said that, I don't recall seeing an issue like what you're experiencing.

From what I remember the idle on the TLX is right there between 500 and 1k RPM. Maybe another member with the V6 can confirm.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks andre12dbsi. It would be hard to replicate. Its only happened to me twice and for some strange reason both times in the drive thru of a Starbucks where I'm completely stopped with the steering wheel turned all the way to the left. Other than that, I love my car.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-21-2017, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
I also drive a 2015 TLX V6 and will be getting my new transmission in the next few months.

If it happened twice at Starbucks, I would suggest that you get out your smartphone and video the situation and the shifting to neutral and return to Starbucks. Often if the dealership can see what is happening it can help diagnose the problem.

Also, gives you a good reason to go to Starbucks every day!

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
post #5 of 6 Old 04-21-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I won't argue with the idea of going to Starbucks everyday haha. The thing is it's hard to tell when/if the car will shift into neutral. It just "happens." I will say I do go to the same Starbucks quite often that has a sharp left turn in the drive thru and out of the many times I've been there, it's only happened twice. The car shakes pretty hard but only for about a second and immediately the RPMs go back up to around 500. When I took my car last month to the dealer for the oil change, I explained the situation to the service technician and he said they would take a look at it and stated the car would probably require an idle relearn procedure because it may have just been idling really low.

When I got my car back after the oil change, they told me that Acura Tech Support advised that the idle speed at 500 RPMs is normal and my car would not require an idle relearn procedure so they couldn't do anything about it.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScaryEnchilada View Post
I won't argue with the idea of going to Starbucks everyday haha. The thing is it's hard to tell when/if the car will shift into neutral. It just "happens." I will say I do go to the same Starbucks quite often that has a sharp left turn in the drive thru and out of the many times I've been there, it's only happened twice. The car shakes pretty hard but only for about a second and immediately the RPMs go back up to around 500. When I took my car last month to the dealer for the oil change, I explained the situation to the service technician and he said they would take a look at it and stated the car would probably require an idle relearn procedure because it may have just been idling really low.

When I got my car back after the oil change, they told me that Acura Tech Support advised that the idle speed at 500 RPMs is normal and my car would not require an idle relearn procedure so they couldn't do anything about it.

Hopefully this will cure the problem. To be sure though, you should still return to Starbucks daily (if not more).

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page