1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sudden dual warning: parking brake and emission control

I see there is a closed thread from Spring of 2015 that exactly explains my situation.

I have a new 2017 TLX, with 1,800 miles on it.

I suddenly got a simultaneous warning on the dashboard screen of an emission control problem and a parking brake malfunction. Both show up with a bright alarm. It was preceded about 15 miles prior with a sudden freeze of the car whil pulling out of a parking space going less than one mile per hour. The car seemed to have gone into "park". The car transmission did not work. I turned off the car, then restarted it and it was back to normal. I drove 15 miles, then got the two simultaneous messages. I drove directly to the Acura dealership.

The Acura dealer said they reset things and the warning lights went off. They reported to me they had anomalies shown in the computer but that since the car now seemed to be working there was nothing more to do. They made no mention of this forum, nor of the proposed fixes of fixing a fuel filler part or replacing the catalytic converter.

It seems weird and troubling--two simultaneous warnings for apparently unrelated systems. I wonder if the sudden stop is related to the two warnings, and if this will be a recurring problem.

Peter Sage
Medford, Oregon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
With as many sensors, computers, switches and such I’m surprised there are not more electronic gremlins. Remember Windows XP and all the problems it had? Even after Window XP, there was Windows 95, Windows 2000, Vista and more each with their own peculiarities such as blue screen of death. What did we do when that happened? A reset.

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
post #3 of 11 Old 04-20-2017, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Hmmm. I don't know about that analogy. A car suddenly stopping, freezing in traffic, throwing all kinds of warnings, that's alarming and dangerous. A dealership needs to take that much more seriously and do some diagnostics.

slimm
2009 Accord EXL V6
Progressive 22mm RSB/Ultra Racing solid FSB/Koni FSD struts

post #4 of 11 Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I agree, Slimm. It is exactly what happened to a couple of other people. One said it was fixed when the dealership replaced a fuel filter or something and another guy said it required a new catalytic converter. Jeeze. But it was the same syndrome, a n emission warning and a parking brake warning. It would tear things up pretty badly if the car goes into Park intermittently. Peter Sage
post #5 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I wasn’t trying to make light of what happened. My point was that; on occasion working as a line technician, you will receive a vehicle with an intermittent/unusual problem; that checking the code history, scanning the range of the sensors and then finding out that all is reading correctly; well, what part do you replace? You just spent 30 or 40 minutes on this vehicle. You’re not finding any bad sensors or parts. Acura is very picky about paying for warranty diagnostic time without replacing a part or you can unhook the battery and reset all the computers and see if it comes back without wasting too much more time that you are not getting paid for and call it a static electric gremlin. I’ve seen techs replace random parts that you would never think could be the part in question (often just to justify their hour or two of diagnostic time).

The bottom line is: the more this problem comes up; the more people take their vehicle in to an Acura dealership for it; the quicker there will be a TSB about it to all the dealerships so that it can be fixed. In the meantime, expect to see to see all sorts of different guesses on what is causing this intermittent problem.

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
post #6 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
There appears to be numerous complaints about the EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) not disengaging. Here is the actual NHTSA complaint.

INVESTIGATING CUSTOMER COMPLAINT OF THE ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKE NOT RELEASING AND CAUSING ONE OR BOTH REAR WHEELS TO NOT MOVE.

Appears Acura is replacing the EPB assembly in some situations.

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics

Last edited by Crashmaster; 04-21-2017 at 04:22 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Garage
Odd that no one has reported having the parking brake replaced here in the forum. I would have thought we had seen most of the more common issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi
post #8 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You might check out the NHTSA complaints at: 2015 Acura TLX TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | AcuraProblems.com

They list more than half a dozen complaints concerning the EPB.

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
post #9 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Garage
I wasn't doubting what you were saying. I just thought we would have seen one or two here.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi
post #10 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre12dbsi View Post
I wasn't doubting what you were saying. I just thought we would have seen one or two here.

You are right. We should have seen more of this problem.
andre12dbsi likes this.

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page