13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-31-2015, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2015 tlx 4cylinder tech or v6

Hi everyone, I'm currently have a Honda civic ex lease that I'm getting rid of. Now I'm looking to get the tlx but am unsure of which one exactly. Any thoughts?
I'm leaning more to the basic 4 cylinder. I need something fuel efficient as I drive long distances. The dealership told me I can use regular gas but it says premium recommended?
The salesperson was also willing to give me the v6 for the price of the 4 cylinder which seems a little odd to me. He said the v6 will transition to 3cylinder for highway driving, but won't that compromise the longevity of the car?
I'm going to be financing this car so I want to make sure I make the right choice. Any thoughts from current owners?
benjaminh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-31-2015, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mila_c923 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm currently have a Honda civic ex lease that I'm getting rid of. Now I'm looking to get the tlx but am unsure of which one exactly. Any thoughts?
I'm leaning more to the basic 4 cylinder. I need something fuel efficient as I drive long distances. The dealership told me I can use regular gas but it says premium recommended?
The salesperson was also willing to give me the v6 for the price of the 4 cylinder which seems a little odd to me. He said the v6 will transition to 3cylinder for highway driving, but won't that compromise the longevity of the car?
I'm going to be financing this car so I want to make sure I make the right choice. Any thoughts from current owners?
I'm not a current owner, but I'm considering buying a TLX myself, and so I've done some research and have a few thoughts.

First, don't be afraid of the cylinder de-activation on the V-6. It's an awesome Acura/Honda technology that works and has proven durable and reliable for the long haul. Some people get 38-40 mpg when cruising on the hwy with the V-6, which is close to a hybrid! Of course, city mpg is significantly lower than the 4 cylinder, but you do get faster acceleration.

The 4 cylinder Tech and the base V-6 have an almost identical msrp. But the 4 cylinder Tech has Navi, ELS Premium stereo, premium leather, as well as some other items.

The 4 cylinder has an 8 speed transmission engineered by Acura. Generally people seem to really like this deluxe transmission, which has good acceleration, crisp shifts, paddle shifters, and good highway mpg.

The V-6 has a 9-speed transmission designed and built by a German company called Zahnradfabrik (ZF, for short) which means Gear Maker or Gear Factory. This unit gets the great mpg on the hwy as mentioned, but some complain that the shifts are erratic or jerky around town.

Make sure you test drive both thoroughly.
Wes Beard likes this.

Last edited by benjaminh; 07-31-2015 at 01:06 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-31-2015, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I have the 4 cylinder Tech purchased new last September, now with a little over 10,000 miles. I average around 34 mpg for a highway commute, easy in the morning at 4:30 AM with variable traffic conditions on the return home at 2PM (Boston). The 4 cylinder to me has plenty of power and I prefer the toys that come with the Tech package. I had a 6 cylinder base as a loaner which MSRP is almost the same as my car. After driving the V6 on the same daily commute I know I made the right choice, not enough extra power to justify giving up the toys. If you want to see some real life gas mileage check out fuelly.com, you will see me there listed under my car's name "Tilly" as well as a variety of TLX's - 4's 6's & AWD. As far as the fuel I personally stick with the premium 91+ (usually 93) and I only use Top Tier fuel - Shell or Mobil near me, it is what is recommended and the car does so well on gas that saving $5 or $6 every 440 miles isn't worth the risk of shortening the engine life or dulling the performance. Take both on a good test drive and then decide what is important to you, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Even after almost a year I look forward to driving it. My 2 cents - good luck.
benjaminh likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 07-31-2015, 05:00 PM
Retired Moderator

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mila_c923 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminh View Post
I'm not a current owner, but I'm considering buying a TLX myself, and so I've done some research and have a few thoughts.Make sure you test drive both thoroughly.
Welcome to the Forum, both of you! Thanks for becoming members and sharing your insights and questions.

As everyone will have an opinion; research and test drive as much as possible. The decision is all yours.

Besides likes and dislikes, sometimes regions may indicate a possible way to lean toward one choice or the other.

I have heard many in the frozen north prefer the V6 SH AWD, but I live in the sunny south. I prefer a quick, quiet and fuel efficient car with the Tech package. Reviews mentioned that the V6 was nose heavy and the I4 was more fun to drive. I guess again that is an opinion you can or do not agree with. I like a light car. The I4 has plenty of power for me. I drive on well maintained roads. The worst weather I will normally see is heavy rain. I also don't plan on towing heavy objects or heavy passengers.

Definitely test drive both. When I bought my car, I could only test the V6, but I still ordered an I4. After 15,000+ miles I still enjoy the drive to and from work.

Again, the choice is all yours. Do your research through all types of media. Take test drives of both models. Take your time and decide.
benjaminh likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 TLX 2.4 Tech - Slate Silver Metallic
post #5 of 18 Old 07-31-2015, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not a current owner, but I'm considering buying a TLX myself, and so I've done some research and have a few thoughts.

First, don't be afraid of the cylinder de-activation on the V-6. It's an awesome Acura/Honda technology that works and has proven durable and reliable for the long haul. Some people get 38-40 mpg when cruising on the hwy with the V-6, which is close to a hybrid! Of course, city mpg is significantly lower than the 4 cylinder, but you do get faster acceleration.

The 4 cylinder Tech and the base V-6 have an almost identical msrp. But the 4 cylinder Tech has Navi, ELS Premium stereo, premium leather, as well as some other items.

The 4 cylinder has an 8 speed transmission engineered by Acura. Generally people seem to really like this deluxe transmission, which has good acceleration, crisp shifts, paddle shifters, and good highway mpg.

The V-6 has a 9-speed transmission designed and built by a German company called Zahnradfabrik (ZF, for short) which means Gear Maker or Gear Factory. This unit gets the great mpg on the hwy as mentioned, but some complain that the shifts are erratic or jerky around town.

Make sure you test drive both thoroughly.

For somebody that is not a current owner, this is a very accurate, well stated overall review of the vehicles. Summed up very nicely!

Summest and benjaminh like this.

2015 TLX FWD P-AWS Crystal Black Pearl, Ebony, Advanced, custom plates, AeroKit
post #6 of 18 Old 07-31-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Beard View Post
For somebody that is not a current owner, this is a very accurate, well stated overall review of the vehicles. Summed up very nicely!

Thanks, Wes. Since you're an owner, I'd enjoy reading your thoughts on the TLX, and esp. the transmission. If you have a review already posted, a link would be helpful. Or, if you're willing to just write one here, I'd appreciate it. And I think the OP would too...
post #7 of 18 Old 07-31-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Wes. Since you're an owner, I'd enjoy reading your thoughts on the TLX, and esp. the transmission. If you have a review already posted, a link would be helpful. Or, if you're willing to just write one here, I'd appreciate it. And I think the OP would too...
As I am sure everyone on this forum has witnessed, my review can change with the day of the week. I have the V6, and it has been a roller-coaster. The transmission can feel different from day to day. It is very interesting. It has (very accurately) been described as Sybil.

I have been in and out of my dealership, and they have done the best they can to make the transmission shift more smoothly. This last update that I had installed on my car this week did cause a perceived improvement, however some shifts from 2-3 are still noticeable. If you concentrate on how hard you accelerate, and lighten up on the gas slightly just before you think the car will shift into 3rd, you can really improve the "bump". This, however, should not be the driver's responsibility.

I hope that Acura will continue to work on this. Actually, I know they are, per a response I received back from a ZF representative. The good news there is ZF is actively working with Acura to come up with a solution. Many other brands are left coming up with a fix on their own.

This week, I have been happier with the performance. I have had two very noticeable jerks between 2 and 3. I am trying very hard to ignore them, but I think I have been wired now to subconsciously pay attention to them. I did notice that I actually look at my tachometer every single time my car shifts in lower gears. This realization came as a shock, as my car has caused my behavior to change. That is a powerful thing.

The rest of the car is absolutely amazing. So well built. I hope one day that the transmission is smooth as butter. I came from driving a 2014 Mazda 6 GT, and that transmission was award winning, in my mind. Smooth, responsive, the whole 9 yards.

I think it also depends on customer preference. Some may notice it more, and some may not mind. To me, I would prefer a transmission I could not feel. Others may like the feel of the car changing gears.

I have had my car since New Year's Eve. I bought the Aero Kit as an after purchase install. I have installed the Acura LED door projectors. I have "TLX" for my license plate. I really do love the car. I just hope that Acura fixes the transmission for those of us that prefer a smoother ride.

benjaminh likes this.

post #8 of 18 Old 07-31-2015, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
I had 4 cylinders in the past but once I drove a V6 the smoother less whining engine won me over. Like others have said you have to drive both. They will feel different and to you one it might be a clear decision. I spend about 2 hours driving the PAWS vs. AWD before settling in on one. Take your time, take many test drives. Its a big purchase. I think someone on the board said, if when you can look in the garage and you get a smile you made the right choice.
Wes Beard likes this.

2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #9 of 18 Old 07-31-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I had 4 cylinders in the past but once I drove a V6 the smoother less whining engine won me over. Like others have said you have to drive both. They will feel different and to you one it might be a clear decision. I spend about 2 hours driving the PAWS vs. AWD before settling in on one. Take your time, take many test drives. Its a big purchase. I think someone on the board said, if when you can look in the garage and you get a smile you made the right choice.
I miss a garage. My partner gets to park his 2007 TL in the garage. I think I have spent more on car washes the past 7 months than I have on groceries.

MikeinEDH likes this.

post #10 of 18 Old 07-31-2015, 06:28 PM

Thanks, Wes. A very fair review. I assume you've seen this article by Alex Dykes on the ZF 9-speed? I'm not sure I understand all of it, but it seems to imply that some of the shift quality is just the way this unit functions? Maybe software fixes can help, but perhaps some of it is just built in?

ZF's 9-Speed 9HP Transmission Puts Dog Clutches On The Leash - The Truth About Cars

PS What kind of mpg do you get on the hwy?

PPS If there are any on this forum with the 4 cylinder/8 speed, I'd love to read a review. That's the model I'm probably interested in....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page