17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine Oil & Filter

I am many months away from my first oil change but I wanted to see what other people planned on doing about their oil changes. Such as taking it to the dealer, taking it to a general automotive shop, or doing it yourself?I guess I am more curious about those who will be doing it themselves and what oil and filters you plan on using. I have been using Mobil products for quite some time now but have been leaning towards switching to Royal Purple products.

What does everyone else plan on doing and using?

2015 TLX 2.4 Tech - Graphite Luster Metallic w/Ebony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-30-2014, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoo View Post
I am many months away from my first oil change but I wanted to see what other people planned on doing about their oil changes. Such as taking it to the dealer, taking it to a general automotive shop, or doing it yourself?I guess I am more curious about those who will be doing it themselves and what oil and filters you plan on using. I have been using Mobil products for quite some time now but have been leaning towards switching to Royal Purple products.

What does everyone else plan on doing and using?
I just take mine to the Acura dealer. For my TL SH engine oil/filter change and tire rotation is $49. My Acura dealer includes 2 years free maintenance so I won't have to worry about it for my TLX for quite some time. To me, OEM service by dealer with synthetic oil and filter change for $49 seems very reasonable if yours has a comparable price.

Most if not all Honda and Acura products have a drain bolt crush washer that needs to be replaced each time the drain plug is removed - they sell in bags of 50 on Amazon. See Honda info below - pretty sure their viewpoint for Acura products will be same. If an Acura dealer does your oil change - you are assured it will be replaced.

Oil & Filter FAQ for Honda Vehicles | Honda Maintenance

Of the choices listed, dealer would be my first choice if price is reasonable. Our company cars are all Honda/Acura and the oil change prices between Honda and Acura dealers are almost the same in our area with the Acura dealer sometimes being cheaper.

I don't have any experience with Royal Purple products, but Mobil is a top tier brand. Likewise, I have never had an issue with Honda or Acura dealer oil/filters either. It seems odd to me that the dealer doesn't have a free normal maintenance period - but that's what I'm used to I guess

Good luck!
post #3 of 31 Old 12-31-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I will be switching to Mobile 1 synthetic at the first oil change, which most likely be in about 3 month time. All my cars I have owned in the last 20 years have been running on Mobile 1 synthetic and I am a huge fan. Already told my dealer that I would like to have this option available and they said that would be no problem at all.

2015 I4 TLX Tech
Graphite Luster Metalic

post #4 of 31 Old 12-31-2014, 04:50 PM
Retired Moderator

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Garage
I lease so I take my TLX into the dealer. Even when I purchased TSXs in the past, I felt it safer and easier just to take the car into the dealer. That just my two cents.
ALman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 TLX 2.4 Tech - Slate Silver Metallic
post #5 of 31 Old 01-02-2015, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I will be switching to Amsoil synthetic XL 0W-20 on my first oil change. Already purchased six oem Honda oil filters and a bag of 25 crush washers. Each oil change will cost me about $30. All other services will most likely be done at the dealer. I use Amsoil XL in all my vehicles. Will replace when the oil life monitor is around 10%.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-02-2015, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I'm on the dealer side of the fence. It's just easier. One day, I would like to do my own. My dad has always run Amsoil extended life synthetic oil and filters and it's worked well for him.

2015 TLX 2.4 Tech
Black Copper Pearl/Parchment
post #7 of 31 Old 01-02-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks to everyone so far for the information!

I have always done my own oil changes so that I know for sure what has gone into the car. Regarding the crush washers, I have a bag of about 20 as my last vehicle was a Honda that used them as well. That should last me longer than I plan on keeping the car. I say this because I will probably only drive it 7,500 miles a year which would only call for a single oil change a year

For me going to the Acura dealership is more of an inconvenience as they are just over a 30 minute drive away...unless a Honda dealership that is 10 minutes away can do it. I have some ramps that I use to change the oil on all of my cars and be done in less than 30 minutes.

I have heard about Amsoil being good but never did much research on it. I definitely will after it was mentioned more than once
Summest and crownr0yal like this.

2015 TLX 2.4 Tech - Graphite Luster Metallic w/Ebony
post #8 of 31 Old 01-03-2015, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Has anyone done their own oil change on the TLX?

My 99TL was a burnfest trying to get to the filter without losing an arm, but my 07TL is very easy....everything is easy to reach. Just wondering how easy the job is on new TLX. Don't have one (yet) but may be soon.

I usually do it myself, but will bring to dealer if they have specials or if I need other work at the same time.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-18-2015, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I see the TLX has switched to 0W-20 as opposed to my old TL which I believed used 5W.
My understanding is that 0W was to improve fuel mileage. If you care less about saving fuel and are more concerned with engine longevity, can you use the heavier 5W-20 for better protection?

Rob
2015 TLX SH-AWD V6 Elite (Advanced)
post #10 of 31 Old 01-18-2015, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddycool View Post
I see the TLX has switched to 0W-20 as opposed to my old TL which I believed used 5W.
My understanding is that 0W was to improve fuel mileage. If you care less about saving fuel and are more concerned with engine longevity, can you use the heavier 5W-20 for better protection?
5W-20 is fine in all Honda/Acura J35 engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page