8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-11-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down 2015 TLX Advance Transmission Replacement

Soooo I was driving home from work 2 days ago and my '15 TLX Advance with 26,300 miles decided to violently jolt while upshifting from 3-4 at around 30mph. All I did was let off the gas from light acceleration in moderate traffic, and the transmission violently upshifted (the car jolted, loud clunk).

I thought someone rear ended me. That's how bad it was!

Not to mention, I live in FL and it was near a beach/causeway where alot of people are on bikes and walking, and they totally heard/saw this.

I immediately contacted Acura Customer Relations and started a case. I think I was able to push past the second visit to the dealership stage. Hopefully, they will authorize a replacement today.

I took my car in yesterday, and I am driving a dealer courtesy car currently. They gave me a '17 TLX 4 banger. The shifting is fantastic on this one, but the engine power is lacking.

Wish me luck!
uktexasguy likes this.

Last edited by DMLongo727; 05-11-2017 at 11:18 AM. Reason: TransAmission..lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-11-2017, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Good luck. I hope this isn't an issue for folks without issues on the original 9 speed that latter down the road the harsh shifting returns. Please keep us posted. If I were to guess at best - the will reprogram... you drive if all OK then your done, if it happens again the will replace the transmission.

2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #3 of 18 Old 05-11-2017, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMLongo727 View Post
Soooo I was driving home from work 2 days ago and my '15 TLX Advance with 26,300 miles decided to violently jolt while upshifting from 3-4 at around 30mph. All I did was let off the gas from light acceleration in moderate traffic, and the transmission violently upshifted (the car jolted, loud clunk).

I thought someone rear ended me. That's how bad it was!

Not to mention, I live in FL and it was near a beach/causeway where alot of people are on bikes and walking, and they totally heard/saw this.

I immediately contacted Acura Customer Relations and started a case. I think I was able to push past the second visit to the dealership stage. Hopefully, they will authorize a replacement today.

I took my car in yesterday, and I am driving a dealer courtesy car currently. They gave me a '17 TLX 4 banger. The shifting is fantastic on this one, but the engine power is lacking.

Wish me luck!
Put it in Sport, if it's not already. I don't find the power lacking. Maybe from a stop but def not when needing to pass.

2017 TLX 2.4 Tech - Lunar Silver Metallic/Ebony - 18% Tints, Decklid & Roof Spoiler, Splash Guards, Acura logo courtesy lights

post #4 of 18 Old 05-11-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Cool Update

Case manager called back and I interrupted her before she could even start talking about the TSB software update/relearn procedure (bullshit) that they put us through.

I argued with her on the phone for another 10 minutes only for her to keep trying to press the matter.

I mentioned the countless others that have gone through this and still ended up needing a replacement. I made sure she was fully aware that I knew the process, but I wasn't going to settle for anything less than a replacement trans or new car essentially.

I ended the call with her on the note that I wasn't satisfied with their stall tactic, and they need to admit the process has failed. They should just acknowledge the faulty transmission and recall the whole batch. I informed her that she has not helped thus far, and I will be calling the dealership to demand they recc a replacement trans. They strive for customer satisfaction, and I made it perfectly clear to my service adviser upon drop off that I know the failed process and also wouldn't settle.

Somehow she was able to get him on the phone before I could, which pissed me off royally. So I had someone from the dealership email him to contact me immediatley.

When my service adviser called back, I greeted him with " Hi, John... I'm really disappointed. Did you really think the TSB software update was going to satisfy me?" ..and from there you can assume how the conversation went. I ended the call with "If I have to come there to pickup my vehicle and the transmission isn't replaced, you, me, the service director, and the GM "Dan" are all going to have a little huddle about how you sold me a car, and don't want to acknowledge there's a major issue, and satisfy me as a customer".

His response was "ok, David, I'll have our service director call you back right away!".

45 mins later.. John calls back and I purposely let it go to voicemail. The voicemail states that they are reaching out the DM to try to approve the replacement trans!!! Fingers crossed!
post #5 of 18 Old 05-11-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Update 2

Transmission ordered.

Should have my car back by next Wed.

AWESOME!
post #6 of 18 Old 05-11-2017, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
That's good to hear! I have my replacement transmission for almost 10k now and it's a lot better.
DMLongo727 likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Garage
It's good that they agreed to replace it. The TSB does state that they are to update software first and after a few hundred miles if the customer still isn't happy to replace the transmission. I guess they're skipping that last step.

Good luck with the replacement. Mine was a lot better.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi
post #8 of 18 Old 05-12-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre12dbsi View Post
It's good that they agreed to replace it. The TSB does state that they are to update software first and after a few hundred miles if the customer still isn't happy to replace the transmission. I guess they're skipping that last step.

Good luck with the replacement. Mine was a lot better.
I noticed you said "was" and saw you have an MDX now?

What made you change? Was it because of the "major surgery"? Ive very OCD about my car and this is literally the first time I've let anyone touch it outside of myself. I do my own oil changes and such...

The fact that the whole transmission is being removed and replaced by service center technicians makes me very uneasy. It never gonna be the same as factory installed.

Sooo eventually I will be trading this in for possibly an '18 depending on the long term reliability reviews of that model. I may even go Lexus. This whole experience really sucks!
post #9 of 18 Old 05-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMLongo727 View Post
I noticed you said "was" and saw you have an MDX now?

What made you change? Was it because of the "major surgery"? Ive very OCD about my car and this is literally the first time I've let anyone touch it outside of myself. I do my own oil changes and such...

The fact that the whole transmission is being removed and replaced by service center technicians makes me very uneasy. It never gonna be the same as factory installed.

Sooo eventually I will be trading this in for possibly an '18 depending on the long term reliability reviews of that model. I may even go Lexus. This whole experience really sucks!

Well I wanted an SUV when I got the TLX but something happened and I ended up with a car. When I saw the redesigned MDX and worked out a deal I was happy with, I made the change.

I really liked the TLX and the transmission swap really didn't sway me. As a matter of fact, once I had the new transmission and felt how much better it felt, I almost kept it. It was a huge difference.

I'm pretty fussy about my cars too but I deal with an awesome service dept and I have full confidence in their work. I can see where you're coming from though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DMLongo727 likes this.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi
post #10 of 18 Old 05-13-2017, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
I felt I needed to comment on the problem with your transmission and your methodology on acquiring a new one. I donít agree.

Having been on both sides of the service counter I am familiar with demanding and argumentative customers. Some of the required classes that General Motors and other OEM manufacturers offer for service writers and service managers deal specifically with these types of customers.

Just to let you know, I also own a 2015 TLX Advance with the transmission problems. I took it in 2 or 3 months ago and the service manager drove it and agreed that they will do an update and then Iíll need to drive it for a relearn process and then if that doesnít work, they will replace the transmission. My re-learn process is currently up and Iíll be returning to Acura to get my new transmission. Not really any different than many others here on this site.

Why didnít I become demanding and argumentative with the service manager?
  • I understand that this is a policy that the factory set up and is out of his hands.
  • The service manager does not have the authority to supersede a factory TSB. It requires someone from Acura Zone to intercede.
  • Why should I think that the re-learn was not going to work? I would much rather hope that the re-learn would work to avoid tearing into my TLX.
  • You can often catch more flies with honey than vinegar Ė meaning a little niceness can go a long way especially when the result will be the same.
  • I donít want to be red flagged as a complainer for any future problem.

You may have gotten your way with a new transmission, but it may cost you more in the long run. What if your vehicle develops a new problem or you need a favor from the service department? Do you think they will come running to your aid quickly or will they remember how you treated them concerning the transmission? Even if you make a new case at Acura Zone, will Acura Zone go out of their way to help you beyond normal assistance?

I mention this because I want others to know that they can get the same results by acting with courtesy and civility. Yes, countless others have gone through this, but countless others have also had the re-learn process resolve their problem. Acuraís methodology is correct in trying the re-learn and then replace; I donít see it as a ďstall tacticĒ.

Just my 2 cents
geokilla and imaginationbox like this.

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page