LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-16-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel Questions

Two questions:

1) How many miles are left in the reserve tank once the low fuel light comes on?

2) The dealership said I can use 89 octane fuel, but the manual says use 91 octane. Obviously I'd like to pay less for gas, but if 91 octane is better for the engine, then I'll go with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Evans View Post
Two questions:

1) How many miles are left in the reserve tank once the low fuel light comes on?

2) The dealership said I can use 89 octane fuel, but the manual says use 91 octane. Obviously I'd like to pay less for gas, but if 91 octane is better for the engine, then I'll go with that.
Page 80 in the users manual says when the low fuel light comes on you have 2.6 gallons left (9.7 litres).

I go with what the manufacturer recommends which is 91 octane. Have a look at this poll.

What fuel grade do you use to fill up your TLX?
MTD likes this.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi
post #3 of 12 Old 12-16-2015, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
For what it's worth, last year during my test drive at the dealer last October, I and the salesman took a dealer TLX down to 2 miles remaining on the small square LCD display and it ran fine. I've never dared take my own TLX below 30 miles remaining.

Generally speaking, you'll want to avoid running your tank close to empty frequently since it causes more wear on the fuel pump (since it has to work harder), and the fuel pump relies on the fuel for cooling as well so definitely avoid doing this in hot weather to save yourself an expensive repair in the future.
MTD likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-17-2015, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Why would the pump work harder with a lower fuel qty?

2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #5 of 12 Old 12-17-2015, 06:47 AM
MTD

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
The pump might not be working as hard, but its not seeing the cooling of being submerged and its also more likely to suck up any gunk or air from the empty tank.

Some cars (both of my past turbo vehicles for example) would actually cut boost/power when the gas got too low to prevent possible damage to the motor from fuel starvation or running too lean.

91 is what is "recommenced" but if you do use regular gas the engine’s knock-sensor will detect uncontrolled burning in the chambers and adjust engine timing. You might hear a bit of knocking and see a loss in fuel economy and/or performance.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-17-2015, 09:51 AM
JT3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andleigh View Post
For what it's worth, last year during my test drive at the dealer last October, I and the salesman took a dealer TLX down to 2 miles remaining on the small square LCD display and it ran fine. I've never dared take my own TLX below 30 miles remaining.
Honda/Acura is notorious for being very conservative with the "miles remaining" reading. In other words, you can usually go quite a few miles after any Honda/Acura reads 0 miles remaining. I'm sure that they do that for legal purposes, since having 5-10 miles left after the meter hits zero is better, legally, than running out of gas when the meter reads 5-10.

Having said that, I'm not the kind to tempt fate, so I rarely even let my fuel light come on, much less rely on that meter, but it's good to know that Honda/Acura has my back.

2015 TLX SH-AWD Advanced
Black Copper Pearl / Espresso
post #7 of 12 Old 12-17-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Generally speaking, you'll want to avoid running your tank close to empty frequently since it causes more wear on the fuel pump (since it has to work harder), and the fuel pump relies on the fuel for cooling as well so definitely avoid doing this in hot weather to save yourself an expensive repair in the future.
Does it actually say how many miles are remaining? I haven't seen that yet.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-17-2015, 02:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT3 View Post
Honda/Acura is notorious for being very conservative with the "miles remaining" reading. In other words, you can usually go quite a few miles after any Honda/Acura reads 0 miles remaining. I'm sure that they do that for legal purposes, since having 5-10 miles left after the meter hits zero is better, legally, than running out of gas when the meter reads 5-10.

Having said that, I'm not the kind to tempt fate, so I rarely even let my fuel light come on, much less rely on that meter, but it's good to know that Honda/Acura has my back.
So to ask an analogous question, what is the most amount of fuel anyone has ever filled into the fuel tank assuming you stop filling once the station pump stops (i.e., no over-filling)?

I've done 14.91 gallons as my maximum whereas Acura specifies 17.2 gallons (65 liters) as the fuel tank size. Does that mean about 2 gallons beyond the range remaining reading zero?

2016 Acura TLX | Specifications | Acura.com
post #9 of 12 Old 12-17-2015, 02:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Why would the pump work harder with a lower fuel qty?
I was told that it is easier for a fuel pump to suck out the fuel from a full tank than an empty tank since you can get the benefits of gravity and because the pump intake is always submerged in gasoline (no air, contaminants, etc.). E.g., the analogy of trying to suck soda through a straw from a full cup vs. a near empty cup.

Wear also increases if the fuel pump heats up due to lack of cooling from the gasoline itself.

I'm still looking for a source online for this, but mostly running into discussion boards and not definitive sources
MTD likes this.

Last edited by andleigh; 12-17-2015 at 02:31 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-17-2015, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I was told that it is easier for a fuel pump to suck out the fuel from a full tank than an empty tank since you can get the benefits of gravity and because the pump intake is always submerged in gasoline (no air, contaminants, etc.). E.g., the analogy of trying to suck soda through a straw from a full cup vs. a near empty cup.

Wear also increases if the fuel pump heats up due to lack of cooling from the gasoline itself.

I'm still looking for a source online for this, but mostly running into discussion boards and not definitive sources
Might be easier because of the head of fuel in a full tank, but I doubt it would make much difference. 30 feet of water adds about 14 pounds pressure. Gasoline is much lighter and the tank is maybe 6 inches deep?

As for your soda analogy, you must have a huge cup if you can tell the difference.

2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance Package - GLM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page