23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Favorite IDS Mode?

I've had my new TLX for 2 months know, and have been experimenting with the different IDS modes to see what I like best driving the Phoenix area. I've trying to account for different pros/cons of each mode, including gas mileage, responsiveness, and smoothness of the transmission operation.

I keep thinking that I'll eventually settle in on a mode that I like as my primary mode, but ironically, that hasn't happened yet!
- When I get on the freeway, I normally go into cruise "Econ" mode
- When I'm feeling a little more aggressive, I go into "Sport+" mode, but usually only coming off of a traffic light. Then once I've reached cruising speed, I'll switch to a less aggressive mode. (And I do agree with the others - using the "brake hold" feature for the adrenaline rush in Sport+ mode off of a traffic light is quite fun).
- When running errands around town, I find "Sport" mode works quite nice, but again, only when I'm slightly in a more aggressive mode
- And finally, I occasionally switch to "Normal" mode, but ironically, I don't use this mode (yet) as much as the others. Maybe that will change.

So I guess what I'm concluding is I like having all of the different modes because I find my driving situations and moods change all of the time!

Has this been your experience, or do you find that you have settled in on a given mode for your day to day driving?
Wes Beard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
This is just like having more than one pair of shoes; old worn shoes when gardening (Econ), brown loafers when going out to lunch (Normal), high shine black shoes for formal dinner (Sport), and running shoes when you are going for a sprint (Sport+). It is nice to have a choice.
Alanjm53 and mac_powah like this.

V6 Elite PAWS - BCP
post #3 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Garage
I've played with the different modes a bit and I really think Sport mode feels the best to me. It might be because I set it up that way when I took the car off the lot and got used to it. Having said that I think I'll switch to Econo mode when I do a good highway run to see if there's any mileage difference. As I'll be up in 9th speed in either mode on the highway I'm guessing it won't make a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Bellanova White, Ebony Interior, SH-AWD Tech, Spoiler, Rear Splash Guards, Folding Trunk Tray, 19" Acura Diamond Cut Wheels, 245/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Puddle Light Projectors, LED trunk light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 03:03 PM
Retired Moderator

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Garage
Sport mode

I leave IDS in Sport mode all of the time,

Normal and Econo feel sluggish after running in Sport.

I have different pairs of shoes, but mostly end up in sneakers.
typeess, Wes Beard, Wade and 1 others like this.

2016 TLX 2.4 Tech - Slate Silver Metallic
post #5 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summest View Post
I leave IDS in Sport mode all of the time,

Normal and Econo feel sluggish after running in Sport.

I have different pairs of shoes, but mostly end up in sneakers.
We did buy TLX's after all, not Corolla's

Good to see you're enjoying it.
Summest and lthagod like this.
post #6 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre12dbsi View Post
I've played with the different modes a bit and I really think Sport mode feels the best to me. It might be because I set it up that way when I took the car off the lot and got used to it. Having said that I think I'll switch to Econo mode when I do a good highway run to see if there's any mileage difference. As I'll be up in 9th speed in either mode on the highway I'm guessing it won't make a difference.

I did drive 300+ miles highway from California to Arizona in Econ mode, and got nearly 34 miles per gallon. I haven't seen anywhere near that high since, but it has been all city driving. Having said that, maybe I could have gotten close to 34 in one of the other modes since as you said, I would have been in the higher gears regardless?
post #7 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
i'm all over the place lol

on the hwy - econ
city - normal/sport
when i want to get bad - sport + lol
post #8 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miner View Post
I did drive 300+ miles highway from California to Arizona in Econ mode, and got nearly 34 miles per gallon. I haven't seen anywhere near that high since, but it has been all city driving. Having said that, maybe I could have gotten close to 34 in one of the other modes since as you said, I would have been in the higher gears regardless?
Interstate driving for long distances will definitely help your mileage. Several years ago when I had a Honda Accord hybrid I got 41mpg coming back to Bloomington, IN, from Sandusky, OH. Never was able to repeat that because on regular highways and byways town speed limits and stop lights draw the mileage down. Most of my TLX driving has been in town so I have not even bothered to look at mileage.

FWD-PAWS Advance TLX
Graphite Luster exterior - black interior
post #9 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 10:25 PM
MTD

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Sport most of the time. Sport+ in the city for more control. Fuel economy, meh!
post #10 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Sport for me. But i have a 700km trip next week, and will go Econ once i clear traffic.

2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD Elite
Black Copper Pearl/Ebony + Decklid Spoiler + cQuartz Finest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page