https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/19/1...-2016-vehicles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 PM
MTD

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
The Sync 3 is also a brand new system as of 2016, not a few years old like Acuras. The Sync 3 uses Blackberry OS and the graphics look even worse then Acuras, no thanks. We have a few Fords in our fleet at work and the Sync 3 is however light years better then MyFord Touch it replaced.
post #3 of 7 Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My friend just told me his Jeep got an OTA update.... Whats next Hyundai?

2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance Graphite

post #4 of 7 Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Lol, Hyundai had the Android Auto update available for 2016 Sonata models I believe.. Not OTA, but still available for free through a dealership.
(I don't think it went well for Canadian Hyundai Sonata Owners though..)

I've read over 2018 TLX navigation manual, and 2015-2017 TLXs have hardware support already in terms of buttons required to operate Android Auto. Only HW button missing is the Smartphone button, but it can be easily remedied by adding one more SW UI button to switch under the current "Phone" menu. So it's just SW update that's needed (even if it runs slower than 2018), but that involves a true love from Acura for its past customers.
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginationbox View Post
Lol, Hyundai had the Android Auto update available for 2016 Sonata models I believe.. Not OTA, but still available for free through a dealership.
(I don't think it went well for Canadian Hyundai Sonata Owners though..)

I've read over 2018 TLX navigation manual, and 2015-2017 TLXs have hardware support already in terms of buttons required to operate Android Auto. Only HW button missing is the Smartphone button, but it can be easily remedied by adding one more SW UI button to switch under the current "Phone" menu. So it's just SW update that's needed (even if it runs slower than 2018), but that involves a true love from Acura for its past customers.
There could also be hardware changes required that we can't see. The newer software may not run at all on the older processing system. As an example, the software on my MDX looks almost the same as my TLX but the system in the MDX seems a lot faster. People complain now about how slow it is. I'm not sure you'd want to make it worse.
Gonzo likes this.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre12dbsi View Post
There could also be hardware changes required that we can't see. The newer software may not run at all on the older processing system. As an example, the software on my MDX looks almost the same as my TLX but the system in the MDX seems a lot faster. People complain now about how slow it is. I'm not sure you'd want to make it worse.
Yes, now that I've thought more about it, 15-17 models would need other hw components upgrade as well. Ex: The USB port would need to support 2.5A along with mirroring support.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
FWIW, I had CarPlay in my 16 Accord. I did not enjoy it at all. While I would love for Honda/Acura to offer over-the-air updates for new features and for software upgrades, I do not desire to have CarPlay on my car. A buddy of mine told me I should have waited a month for an 18 TLX because of CarPlay. I told him that CarPlay is the 2nd most important reason that I'd be avoiding that car...that and the fact that they wont be discounted like the 17s.

Until Apple or the manufacturer (whichever is responsible for its crappy integration and usability) makes it less buggy, I wont desire to have it in my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post

2017 TLX 3.5 P-AWS Advance
Modern Steel Metallic/Graystone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page