Costs involved with Acuralink, XM radio, etc... - Acura TLX Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 10-23-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Costs involved with Acuralink, XM radio, etc...

Have never used these services before, and I've trying to figure out which costs what, and have had no such luck. So, if someone could break down the various options and their costs for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Seems like there are quite a few packages with various options.

Thanks in advance.

Growing old is no excuse for growing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-23-2015, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Garage
XM: if they offer this package after your promo expires: $100/yr. get it (like I did). Just remember that it does not include internet access to your account (to listen). After one year, I'llcancel XM.
AcuraLink: You need to sign up with a Credit card. I forgot to cancel before the trial period and got dinged with the fee. ($200+). I'll drop back after it expires. I really only liked the "send" location feature since entering via the in-car interface is so limiting.

I'm finding I can get all this stuff from my phone!!

Waze is getting to be my new friend.
Pandora/Amazon Music/Apple Radio/iTunes library all satisfy my music listening

As always YMMV (your mileage may vary)
Nascart, cotmfk and crack-kitty like this.

Proud owner of a 2015 TLX 3.5 P-AWS Graphite Luster Metallic/Ebony with Advance Package (5/2015)
Opti-Coat Pro (6/2015), Acura F/R Splash guards (6/2015), Acura Trunk Liner (10/2015), WeatherTech F/R FloorLiner (11/2015)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-23-2015, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
If you call Acuralink from your car they can review costs with you. I prepaid for 2 years and they reduced the price... I just don't recall or want to recall the cost.
Nascart and gary325 like this.

2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance Graphite

post #4 of 27 Old 10-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Garage
XM differs depending on when you call I think. I was able to get Internet access included this time for my annual renewal ($120 ish Cdn)...not that I use it but it shows that they are feeling the competition from some of the music streaming sites as Gary mentioned above.

I haven't had to renew the Acuralink service yet but I will definitely drop the concierge (top level) service which they offer for free for the first year in Canada. I do like the ability to send destinations to the car which I believe is the middle package. I've yet to check on pricing though.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi
post #5 of 27 Old 10-23-2015, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Acura needs the AcuraLink service to be considered in the luxury market, but at the prices being charged it is a real luxury. I would be surprised if this is a profitable area of the business for them, and is likely just a loss leader. It might be reasonable for the average driver at a third of the price.

The most basic smartphone provides good route guidance with traffic conditions (if internet connected). There is also exceeding speed limits warning on smartphone which Acura Nav should have. They are on a technology slide, like most automotive companies, and need to change their approach to even try stay a few years behind current technology.

V6 Elite PAWS - BCP
post #6 of 27 Old 10-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Garage
I think the challenge with any car manufacturer is how to stay up to date while still developing tech for new models. With apps on phones it much easier to send out updates to their software/apps.

I'm thinking that once a model is out the door any updates will be to repair glitches rather than providing new or updated technology.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi
post #7 of 27 Old 10-23-2015, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Regarding XM, you can just about name the price that you want to pay. I got it first on my 07 TL and renewed for $88/year. Did that for a few years and then decided to ask for cheaper. For the last 4 years I have paid $25/6 months. I ask for invoice (do not give them credit card) and renew before the expiration date or they will auto renew you at some outrageous price.
andre12dbsi likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-23-2015, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the information and thoughts.

We got Nav on the car because it's easier to see the screen (old eyes) than on the iPhone. We're retired and travel a great deal. I don't mind inputting addresses manually, and I don't see a great deal that Acuralink has to offer us. Downloaded a streaming app for the iPhone and radio, but there has to be an Internet connection to log in and use it. Bluetooth connection is easier and works great for the music. Been transferring CDs to the hard drive as well. Haven't decided on Sirius yet - we enjoy it and it's not as outrageous as I expected, apparently. A commercial for it popped up at $50 for 6 months, but even the salesperson said to let it expire and they'll come back with much better offers.

I'll have to study the Acuralink packages a little better...

post #9 of 27 Old 10-24-2015, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
@ Seraphim,

We would not be without SiriusXM. We were able to get a deal for 12 months for the price of 7 months. This was slightly less than the $50 for 6 months. We are oldies, but goodies and enjoy the 50's, 60's and Elvis stations.
post #10 of 27 Old 10-25-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
We might be inclined to keep it - its a good way to discover new artists we might like to follow. Thing is, most of our traveling - about 6 months out of the year - is in my truck, because we camp lol. TLX is not capable of hauling the camper around. That's a bit of wasted money. The truck hasn't an XM compatible radio, and it wouldn't be worthwhile to install one. When we're camping, we're out of range of most electronic signals, and we're mostly not n the truck anyway, only when actually driving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page