Wax a brand new car immediately upon buying ? - Acura TLX Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-28-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wax a brand new car immediately upon buying ?

Hello, I just bought my TLX yesterday and will be washing it today because a bird plopped on it in two places while I was parked and at church this morning.
I would like to know if it is advisable to wax the car (I have Mother's Car wax) immediately upon buying; I would like to do this immediately after washing it today.
I did not get the special treatment that was offered at considerable expense from the dealer, as I do my own washing and waxing and have equipment to do it and park the car in a garage at home so it is garaged about 50% of the time.

Thanks for any advice,
Debra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-28-2016, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Garage
I always wax a new vehicle when I get it home.
JohnNYC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Bellanova White, Ebony Interior, SH-AWD Tech, Spoiler, Rear Splash Guards, Folding Trunk Tray, 19" Acura Diamond Cut Wheels, 245/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Puddle Light Projectors, LED trunk light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-28-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you, Just finished washing it. Will wax it in the shade. Will post a photo later,
Thanks, Debra

post #4 of 18 Old 08-28-2016, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Nothing, I will repeat, nothing is like a fresh waxed car. I swear, it drives better too afterwards.

2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #5 of 18 Old 08-28-2016, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Nothing, I will repeat, nothing is like a fresh waxed car. I swear, it drives better too afterwards.
Faster....less resistance.
cube1tlx likes this.

2015 Bellanova White, Ebony Interior, SH-AWD Tech, Spoiler, Rear Splash Guards, Folding Trunk Tray, 19" Acura Diamond Cut Wheels, 245/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Puddle Light Projectors, LED trunk light.

post #6 of 18 Old 08-29-2016, 12:22 AM
mk5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Yup - I applied generic Maguiar's sealant the first week I got my TLX and it has held up great.

2015 Tech 2.4 L CBP/Espresso
post #7 of 18 Old 08-29-2016, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Some people confuse a brand new car with a brand new paint job. They think because the car is brand new this also means the paint is new or just painted a few days ago.

By the time a new car travels down an assembly line, the paint is already completely dried, cured and hardened. Even more time goes by before the car travels from the manufacturing plant to the show room floor at your local dealership.

What this means to you is that by the time you purchase the car and get it home the paint is perfectly dried, cured and hardened and ready to be sealed with a coat of wax, a synthetic paint sealant or a paint coating.

You can check the date of manufacture of your vehicle which is near the VIN label on the door jam. Those who buy a new car might be surprised to see that their new vehicle isn't always so new. Even a car that sells pretty quickly won't hit a dealer lot until a month or more after production.

Now that your car is waxed, don’t ruin it by using just any car wash. Always try and find a touchless car wash that offers undercarriage washing and become a regular customer. I’ve seen too many paint jobs ruined by the car washes that drag rags or such over your car. Guess what happens when the car prior to yours which had lots of rust; and a piece of that rust got caught in one of the rags being now dragged over your new paint.

2015 Acura TLX w/Advance
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics

Last edited by Crashmaster; 08-29-2016 at 03:42 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-29-2016, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Welcome! Are you sure the dealer didn't wax the car before you picked it up? Mine always does. I'm sure everyone has a favorite, I use this every time I wash my cars in between full detailing and it works well IMO.

post #9 of 18 Old 08-30-2016, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
^quick spray waxes are great to keep that fresh looked wax inbetween details for maintenance washes.

A big part of my business are actually new cars. Dealership detailer mostly are not very good. They focus on speed rather than longevity, just make it look decent for the customer and out the door and that's for a "detail", for a wash they don't care if they are putting swirls amd scratches in it as long as it's clean.

When a car comes from the factory, its on a truck, then train, then truck again to the dealer. Rail dust, road debris and just sitting around let's all this crap settle on the car. Then, when a dealership gets their delivery of up to 30 cars, they are given a quick wash to see any defects which is then fixed and charged back to corporate. After that it's another quick wash and tire shine and given to the customer, this is why a brand new car looks a year old two weeks after you've bought it!

I've done BRAND new cars. Two of them being acuras, a Tlx and a Rdx both with less than 1000km on them and the paint was in terrible condition, two brand new cars that looked 8 months old.

Two clients got brand new cars last Friday, they called me before they picked up their cars and I advised them to have the dealership detail the interior, but not to touch the outside, not even wash it. Then I went over a week later and both cars were in much need of a clay bar, Polish and wax. This was the outcome but imo this is how a new car should look:

These days dealerships are just not putting in the effort to ensure the customer is getting that nice $40,000 car they just bought. They are all about volume.

Last edited by Flexin5; 08-30-2016 at 01:01 AM.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-30-2016, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
@Flexin... You are amazing that looks great. How???

2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance Graphite

Last edited by andre12dbsi; 08-30-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page