LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 05-27-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
MTD

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2018 test drives

I figured a few of us would be test driving and possibly buying the new 2018 models, so maybe we can all post our thoughts here. As a previous owner of a 2015 3.5 Tech, I was very interested in this new version of the TLX. I really liked my TLX, but Acura Canadas lack of updates and recalls for the problematic tranny really made it hard to enjoy driving. Mine didnt have the really bad 2-3 upshift, but I hated how slow it was to downshift and just how unresponsive the transmission felt. My wife got herself a new MDX by trading in the TLX and I inherited her RDX. Nice ride, but an SUV really isnt my thing. I was hoping the new TLX adressed some of the issues I had and inproved on what I thought was an otherwise great car for the money. Today I drove a 2018 3.5 SHAWD A-Spec Elite, which here in Canada would be eqivilent to the US Advanced A-Spec. It was a black one and I think very sinister and aggressive looking in this colour. It also had the alcantera/leather interior. Wow would honestly the best way to describe it. It doesnt even feel like the same car. Granted its no Bimmer, but it feels like it performs much better, light years ahead of my 15. Although its slightly fake, the motor and exhaust sound great, even a bit loud at times. Turn-in and overall handling with the better tires and A-Spec suspension was very sharp. The 19" wheel and tire combo does ride stiffer, but it was not an overly harsh ride. The car feels a bit lower, dont know if the suspension is slightly lower or maybe the seat itself is, but it did seem a bit lower compared ot my 15. Overall the handling and ride were vastly better then my 15. The interior now gets rid of the fake wood and replaces it with a metal looking material. Dont think it was real metal, but it looked and felt far better then the fake wood. Didnt get a chance to see the LED lighting, but it will probably look pretty cool at night. The gauges are now mostly red and the headliner black. Seat comfort was great and one of the things I did like about my 15. The new graphics and headunit looks much better and almost has a smartphone look to it with the graphics and fonts. Navi looks the same, but I never really had a problem with it anyway. It does overall feel faster and the menus much easier to use. A few things I did notice, I dont think the colour of the displays can be changed from blue/re/amber/grn like the old cars. Or maybe I just couldnt find the option. Also, the top display doesnt show radio/xm/etc info anymore. Map or phone info is all I saw. Granted, this car was right off the truck, still covered in plastic and hadnt been PDI'd so maybe things were not set up all the way with regards to some of the features. Also, I was told the red interior is only available on white and black cars in the A-Spec line. The exterior looks really aggressive and it seems lower and wider in person. The grill is very intricate, the wheels look great and I loved the big exhaust tips, even though they are fake like most other cars on the road. I love the look of the car now. Something I did noticed, the mirrors now fold when the doors are locked. It did however not have the walk away locks OR they werent enabled. Like I mentioned above, not PDI'd, so Im hoping its a new feature. Now to the transmission. My 2017 MDX has the ZF9 and it was an improvement over my TLX. Still the odd hiccup, moslty when it was cold, but nothing major. This new TLX with the improved ZF9, didnt exhibit ANY of the issues I had with mine. The up and downshifts in Sport and + were seemless and lightning quick. No bump during the 2-3 upshift, it didnt lunge forward on the downshifts, etc. Honestly it feels totally different then I expected. Thats all for now, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Oh, dealer is searching for a Still Night Blue Pearl A-Spec Elite for me. So I liked it enough to get another one lol.
andre12dbsi and wlkeel like this.

Last edited by MTD; 05-27-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Garage
Great write up. Thanks for sharing. It sounds as though they've made some good improvements. I plan on driving one in the next few weeks to do my own comparison.

Keep us updated on the hunt for the blue.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi
post #3 of 28 Old 05-27-2017, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Yes, great review MTD. It seems Acura finally got the TLX right, especially with the 9-spd!

slimm
2009 Accord EXL V6
Progressive 22mm RSB/Ultra Racing solid FSB/Koni FSD struts

post #4 of 28 Old 05-27-2017, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Garage
I think we need to be careful with the 9 speed automatic. As the software learns after a few thousand miles, that was when the rough shifting kicked in for me. For my 2015, the transmission felt great after getting the latest software. Now it's back to its old, crappy self. If you're looking for something engaging to drive, most people agree that when they drove the pre-refresh TLX, the 2.4 was the one to get. The SH-AWD is more of a luxury cruiser.

2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Technology Package in Black Copper Pearl
28,500 km

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 05-27-2017, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Garage
The ZF in the 16s and up is a lot better. As @MTD said, in the MDX it will occasionally shift rough when it's first started in cold weather and then it's fine. I've also driven 16 and 17 TLXs and they shift a lot better.

Unfortunately I think the 15s were the guinea pig for the 9 speed. Acura is replacing them though so that should resolve the issue for most who still feel there are issues after the latest software updates.
slimm likes this.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi
post #6 of 28 Old 05-28-2017, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I've never had an issue with the 9-speed in my 2016 Tech AWS V6. Smooth shifts up and down, even when cold (granted, Southern CA doesn't get ALL that cold). When I test-drove it, the first thing I noticed was that it shifted more smoothly than did my 2008 TL. I've had it for more than a year now and except for one time when I was coming down a slight hill and had to get on, off and then on the throttle when a car pulled out in front of me, it's never had a hiccup. (That time, it kind of went into a neutral state for a second before choosing a gear. Never repeated so I assume I confused it.)

2016 Silver TLX 6 Cyl AWS Tech
post #7 of 28 Old 05-28-2017, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
While many 2015 have had issues no issues with my 2015 9 speed (build date June 2015) smooth and responsive... now back to your reguaraly scheduled thread.....

2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #8 of 28 Old 05-29-2017, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
I have been driving the 2.4 A-spec all weekend! It feels like the v6 though!
It makes me drive faster! The sound from the exhaust sounds aggressive and it just pushes you on!
The tires make such a difference and you can tell you have more rubber there when cornering.

Looking forward to seeing the LED's when I drive it later (not driven it at night yet).
I have the white which I think looks better, in black you just can't see all the cool trim as much.
People were staring at me all weekend (No joke), sitting in traffic lights, went to wonderland and two people talked to me in the carpark after I parked lol
andre12dbsi, Gonzo and slimm like this.
post #9 of 28 Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
I have been driving the 2.4 A-spec all weekend! It feels like the v6 though!
It makes me drive faster! The sound from the exhaust sounds aggressive and it just pushes you on!
The tires make such a difference and you can tell you have more rubber there when cornering.

Looking forward to seeing the LED's when I drive it later (not driven it at night yet).
I have the white which I think looks better, in black you just can't see all the cool trim as much.
People were staring at me all weekend (No joke), sitting in traffic lights, went to wonderland and two people talked to me in the carpark after I parked lol
Could be the color. Was it red? Red draws attention and the black diffusers make it stand out.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite 3M Tinted
2013 Acura ZDX (SOLD)
2011 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech Package Aero Kit (SOLD)
2010 Toyota Venza V6 (SOLD)
2007 Honda Civic (SOLD)
post #10 of 28 Old 05-30-2017, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeauty View Post
Could be the color. Was it red? Red draws attention and the black diffusers make it stand out.

It's white with the black suede interior. All the black accents like the diffuser you mention really pop out on the white.
The red cabin lights look pretty slick at night as well.
I'm loving driving it and even though only 4 cylinder its making me drive faster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page