LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-19-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Playing with "Sport +" in my 9 speed

I have been in a TLX since May of '15, and have driven mostly in Sport mode. I have gotten comfortable with using the paddles to downshift before entering turns and highway on-ramps. Recently, though, I have been trying, and enjoying, the "Sport +" setting of the IDS. By keeping the trans in a lower gear, the power is there when it's needed. The paddle downshifts are quicker and more effective, and it makes the car a lot more fun to drive. Once I get to cruising speed on the highway part of my commute, I up shift to 9th, for the fuel economy benefit, but if I need to pass, 1 or 2 taps of the left paddle get the car moving. It's better for going down hills too, holding the lower gear so the car does not passively accelerate. Slowing to a stop can be a little rough due to the automatic progressive downshifts, but if I upshift once before braking, the car stays in that gear until it stops completely. I then usually press the "D" button to switch back to automatic shifting.

Anyone who would like to get a little more fun out of their 9 speed ride should give it a try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD TECH, BLACK COPPER PEARL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-19-2017, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
i've always wanted to learn the paddle shifting but my issue is i've never driven a 5spd..
i've only driven tiptronic BMW's which downshift so fast you can't really do it yourself and as for shfting up 2500-3000 rpm's seem to be the sweet spot, 1500 for downshift if your fast enough..
TLX however seems more 5spd shifting where you fly up the gears with your own feel which i don't know..
only had the TLX maybe 2 months but too scared to mess around with the paddles and wreck the fragile tranny..
any tips or YouTube tutorial vids that might help me, really enjoyed the ease and fun of my old BMW steptronics
post #3 of 10 Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Garage
I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the transmission. It will shift on its own if you don't shift soon enough. Also, if you just hit the D button it will go back into normal shifting.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi

post #4 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre12dbsi View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the transmission. It will shift on its own if you don't shift soon enough. Also, if you just hit the D button it will go back into normal shifting.
can you shift it in any mode or just sport and sport +..
too be honest i haven't even tried sport + yet, wasn't sure if it was for a faux manual type mode..
would still like to learn how to paddle shift proper tho, always looks fun in Lambo's and Ferrari's
post #5 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_TLX_SH_AWD View Post
can you shift it in any mode or just sport and sport +..
too be honest i haven't even tried sport + yet, wasn't sure if it was for a faux manual type mode..
would still like to learn how to paddle shift proper tho, always looks fun in Lambo's and Ferrari's
In Sport+ it becomes a 6 speed. Go on the highway in Sport+ and then downshift once after cruising for a little bit and it will display 5 implying it was in 6th gear before. It also goes fully manual if you use paddle shifters. Meaning if you don't shift, it won't intervene and shift for you and will blow your engine.

Sport however is still 9 speed and will intervene if you don't shift and are redlining.

2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite 3M Tinted
2013 Acura ZDX (SOLD)
2011 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech Package Aero Kit (SOLD)
2010 Toyota Venza V6 (SOLD)
2007 Honda Civic (SOLD)
post #6 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeauty View Post
In Sport+ it becomes a 6 speed. Go on the highway in Sport+ and then downshift once after cruising for a little bit and it will display 5 implying it was in 6th gear before. It also goes fully manual if you use paddle shifters. Meaning if you don't shift, it won't intervene and shift for you and will blow your engine.

Sport however is still 9 speed and will intervene if you don't shift and are redlining.

The car will shift on its own in Sport + as well. My TLX did at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here's another thread discussing the paddle shifters. @Gonzo confirms what I was saying. In Sport + mode, the car will still shift on its own at or near redline.

Paddle Shifters

post #8 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 12:30 AM

great info guys.. thanks
post #9 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
OMG the first time I used + I didn't think the car was going to shift as it does keep the RPMs high... What is fun with +.... set it just before getting off the highway and before hitting the off ramp... as you slow and make the turn the TLX keeps down shifting but keeping RPMs high... then gas it as you come out of the turn... and zipppppppp your off!

Also + is great as you can shift 3 gears at a time instead of the usual 2 in other IDS modes.
andre12dbsi likes this.

2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #10 of 10 Old 04-23-2017, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeauty View Post

What? This isn't true at all - at least not with my TLX V6.
By selecting Sport+, you don't automatically force the use of the paddle shifters - and if at highway speeds, it will automatically go as high as 7th gear. Once you hit a paddle shifter, you engage manual mode and you can go all the way to 9th.
Also, the transmission will not allow over revving or underrevving; It will shift into the next highest gear if you hit the rev limiter. Likewise, it will also downshift for you as you reduce speed. You can't blow your engine or transmission using Sport+. And there's not that much to "learn"... You shift up depending on how quickly you want to hold onto a gear... If you're doing mild acceleration, just shift up between 3,000-4,000 rpm. If you're doing more aggressive acceleration, hold the gears to 6,000-6,500... You dont really have to worry about downshifting when coming to a stop, as it will do that for you - Of course, you can downshift to pass someone, or to do engine breaking... The TLX has a feature where if you double tap the downshift paddle, it will skip shift. Its fun, and everyone should use Sport+ In fact, I think Sport+ relieves many of the woes people experience with the other modes... the car is as responsive as you want it to be.
Gonzo and Mr_TLX_SH_AWD like this.

2016 Acura TLX 3.5L - Crystal Black Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page