-Apple CarPlay / Android Auto
-Wireless phone charger & wifi
-Walk away auto lock
-Remote start on all models
-Updated infotainment screens across all models
-Possible turbos for 4 cyl for a HP bump
-Sport Hybrid Model
-Type S Model

I don't think the 10 speed transmission will make it to the 2018 V6. I feel like they will further refine the ZF 9-speed and save the 10/11/whatever speed for the major redesign in 2020, or for the new RLX, whenever that comes to pass.

2015 Tech 2.4 L CBP/Espresso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 08-29-2016, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
If they stick with thy zf9 they might as well call the tlx doa. They haven't fixed the existing cars . Every forum i read someone is saying avoid the tlx for that reason alone.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
andleigh likes this.

2015 Acura TLX Elite V6 SH-AWD

Join the TLX Issues Facebook Group and help us get our transmissions fixed -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 57 Old 08-29-2016, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Garage
I've driven the 2016 and it shifts very smooth. The issues I've read about seem to affect the 2015s.

2017 MDX SH-AWD, Modern Steel Metallic, Ebony Interior, Navi

post #4 of 57 Old 08-29-2016, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
mk5 - why do you think sports hybrid and Type-S will be separate models? Even if Acura develops powerful engine, it will be used for RLX first (and that too probably in FR platform).
post #5 of 57 Old 08-29-2016, 06:02 PM
MTD

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
The 9ZF in my '17 MDX shifts light years apart then my TLX did. I dont mean to exagerate either in saying that it doesnt even feel like remotely the same transmission. The things I had issue with the TLX 9 dont exist at all in the MDX 9.

So it is possible for them to make it better in current/future TLX versions.
mk5 likes this.
post #6 of 57 Old 08-29-2016, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I will have to test drive the TLX again....this time a 2017...

When I test drove the 2015 the downshift lag during moving acceleration (ie...merging or passing on highway) was horrible. That was always my biggest complaint. Many have said that it is better, but that the lag is still there. I also did not like the seemingly random surge when slowing down.....car would surge forward as you slowed to stop. Both of these were dangerous and that is why I have not purchased.

I know that there are dog clutches involved but buying because it is better than before is not my criteria for a transmission. My commute requires a responsive transmission like in my 3G TL but I understand that for many the TLX transmission is fine for their commute.

I should be interesting to see what Acura does in 2018.
mk5 likes this.
post #7 of 57 Old 08-29-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
mk5

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha0 View Post
mk5 - why do you think sports hybrid and Type-S will be separate models? Even if Acura develops powerful engine, it will be used for RLX first (and that too probably in FR platform).
A pure guess based on speculation I read about the 2 models somewhere, which could be bad information, but the same person mentioned a 2018 facelift with the concept grille and that turned out to be true. If I had to choose one over the other, my money would be on the Type S. If they happen to make a Sport Hybrid, I think they could literally just drop in the Hybrid system from the RLX to the TLX, even the same engine/7-speed as RLX (310 hp NA). That'd generate 377hp according to RLX SH-AWD specs w/ elec. motors.

If Acura made the Type S a Sport Hybrid, it wouldn't make sense because the current RLX Sport Hybrid technically then should've been called a Type S. With all the rumors swirling about turbos vs. NA engines, I would place no bets on what the Type S will have, but I would place a bet that the model exists and is introduced as a 2018 model. I would also suspect it to be available in SH-AWD only. I think we'd both love a FR layout, but that doesn't seem likely.

What are your thoughts?

2015 Tech 2.4 L CBP/Espresso

Last edited by mk5; 08-29-2016 at 06:13 PM.
post #8 of 57 Old 08-29-2016, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Oh....and throw in the exposed tailpipes....two please.
newftlx likes this.
post #9 of 57 Old 08-29-2016, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderstrat69 View Post
I also did not like the seemingly random surge when slowing down.....car would surge forward as you slowed to stop.
That sounds to me like the 5-4 downshift delay and rev-matching for the dog clutch. I experienced the same thing on my very first test drive on a 2016 in February. HOWEVER, there was a TSB that came out after that, and I have since taken 3 more test drives, and none of them surprised me that way when simply braking - the behavior was just fine. For downshifting with the paddle, all I had to do to adjust to it was to brake first (lightly), THEN use the paddle to downshift until the engine braking is discernable, then I can back off the brake some. It is an adjustment compared to my 2009 TSX, but one I am comfortable with.

PS: I take delivery of my 2016 TLX SH-AWD Advance tomorrow.
andre12dbsi and lthagod like this.

2009 Acura TSX Basque Red Pearl (Traded)
2016 Acura TLX SH-AWD Advance, Fathom Blue Pearl

Last edited by cube1tlx; 08-29-2016 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Add PS:
post #10 of 57 Old 08-30-2016, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTD View Post
The 9ZF in my '17 MDX shifts light years apart then my TLX did. I dont mean to exagerate either in saying that it doesnt even feel like remotely the same transmission. The things I had issue with the TLX 9 dont exist at all in the MDX 9.

So it is possible for them to make it better in current/future TLX versions.
Doesn't matter. Reputation is shot already. Acura not fixing the issue on 2014 and 2015 models compounds the issue. The average customer hears tlx and transmission issues will run away. Now if they fixed all of with an update or whatever it takes then they'd have a leg to stand on. Otherwise tlx = bad transmission to average buyer. Recall them, fix them all or move onto another tranny. This some cars have the issue and some don't doesn't put confidence in a buyer.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
andleigh and geokilla like this.

2015 Acura TLX Elite V6 SH-AWD

Join the TLX Issues Facebook Group and help us get our transmissions fixed -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page